subwoofer goes in standby mode during tv playback with ProLogic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Tomaskovic, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I have a Cambridge P500 sub link which has the remote control unit so it is easy to see when it goes into standby mode (led goes from green to amber) if it is not receiving a signal.
    When playing tv sounds through the receiver, I've noticed that the sub will go into standby mode. Noticed it once yesterday when playing the tuner too. But if I switch to cd or dvd, the sub wakes up immediately. If I turn the volume up, sometimes that will wake the sub up on the tv input. Or sometimes a different sound field. I have been using the Dolby Prologic II on my new Sony 5ES. I also noticed the sub going standby on my former 30es.
    So is it normal that a ProLogic playback will cut the signal to the sub? With the 5ES, I have the speakers as all small with cut off at 70 for the fronts and 100 for the center and rears. I have Mission 774s as fronts and 771s as rears.
    I don't think the sub is at fault since it kicks in right away with cd. Is it possible that I have some setting that would keep video playback from sending a strong sub output?
    Thanks

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

There is no special reason why your sub should "go to sleep" for Dolby Pro Logic. *If* your receiver is processing the crossover correctly, that should take precedence and keep sending a signal to the sub. I have a TA-E9000ES and the sub stays awake for DPL on it. Maybe some other software config item somewhere?

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

Phil, I have not noticed my SVS going to sleep on DPLII(I too have DA5ES), however I felt that my DBS sound was lacking umph in bass department. I have front to small, x-over at 80hz, full lfe cutoff and have calibrated with Avia with sub 2db hot. I have added EQ setting to dbs watching and this has has made my 25-31 scream! Good luck!

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

If the sub as L/R inputs, use them both by way of a splitter. Sometimes a mono rca won't give enough juice to keep the sub 'on'. It worked in my case.

Be sure to recalibrate as it will add a 6dB gain.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Phil: I just got off the phone with Cambridge and they have no solution for you either. They said that the standby doesn't even come on for at least 4 minutes without a signal, but that it is not adjustable nor can you disable standby. It seems like the problem may reside with the Sony 5es? Can you set it so that on DPL and DPL2 modes, your sub output is bumped up a bit? Maybe try that and see if the 5es is possibly undervolting the DPL related signals to the subwoofer? You may also try contacting Sony Tech support, as maybe this is a known issue for which they already have a fix?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Good Luck!

6. rodney wiley

rodney wiley Second Unit

DPLII seems to have a lower volume level. Seems to me as when in DPlII your subs not getting enough signal to keep it on. You can try raising the level of you receivers sub output and lowering thr subs level,but then on dvd and cd you stand to have too much output! Good luck

7. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

I think the problem is NOT the DPL mode, it may be the original source. When you say TV, you mean regular cable, I assume. That and the FM broadcast may not contain as much low frequency info as a CD or DVD source. You may want to check out with some well recorded movies from VHS tape in DPL mode. I think the problem is just the source. Also the idea suggested by ColinM - to connect both the L & R input would definitely increase the sensitivity of the sub to wake up on signals.

If there is a way to increase the receiver's x-over to a higher setting (say 100 Hz) - that may put more signal into the sub. But this may have other impacts.

8. Phil Tomaskovic

Thanks John, I sent Cambridge an email last nite but haven't heard back from them. I still need to run Avia so maybe that will help. Colin, there is only a single sub-in on the sub.

There is a on/off/auto power switch on the sub. Would setting it to "on" vs "auto" defeat the standby?

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

10. Phil Tomaskovic

Chella,

Yes by tv. I mean regular cable (live and playback on vcr). I have my vcr plugged into the tv audio -in and then use the line out from the tv to the receiver. I have noticed that it will go on and off during tv playback. In fact it was in standby and a commercial with sound of ocean surf came on and the sub kicked in immediately.

It's just that shows like X-files which say they are recorded in surround used to really kick out bass and lately they haven't (even with my old 30es).

My tv is a Sony XBR250, if that helps any.

11. Phil Tomaskovic

John, next time I see it go into standby, I will try it. The sub control module is plugged into my receiver so it will only go on and when I am listening to audio anyways.

12. chella

chella Stunt Coordinator

13. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Phil, I agree w/ Chella that it's the CATV source.

Depending on the channel and broadcast material, we get stereo or DPL. To get more tv bass, I keep my finger on the amp remote SWFR Level and sometimes send +5-6dB beyond sub "reference" to the sub; same thing for FM. The sub is AUTO.

I know this is simple; but it hasn't been mentioned.

..perhaps you can switch the audio outs from VCR to Rcvr, sted of tv to rcvr. Probably means turning on the VCR all the time; I do anyway cuz I use it as my tv video tuner.

bill

14. Phil Tomaskovic

This is what I got back from Cambridge (hifi.com). I replies about where the amp is and whether I should leave it plugged into the receiver:

The music sensing circuit on the P500 is actually sensing if there's a signal coming from the source. Apparently some of your sources have less output than others and fall below the level that the P500 thinks is a music signal. The simplest way of overcoming this is to increase the output from those sources so that they produce the same volume as the others. If your TV and VCR have variable output, turn it up so that the P500 doesn't shut down during quiet passages.

The level control on the controller is, in fact, a sensitivity control. The higher you turn it up the more sensitive the input is and the louder it plays. Finally, if there's no way to increase the level of the signal coming from your "difficult" sources, leave the P500 on all the time. This is what I do at home with mine. The way my system is configured there was no way I could increase the level of one of my sources to match the others and I didn't want to have to manually turn the P500 on and off. Leaving it on all the time does use a small amount of electricity, BUT, it will also increase the longevity of all the electronics inside it. (I've had mine running this way for months and haven't noticed any change in my electricity bill.)