Subwoofer for under $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Alcasid, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Ron Alcasid

Ron Alcasid Stunt Coordinator

A buddy of mine wants to get a subwoofer but doesn't want to spend more than $500. Can anyone recommend decent subs in this price range? Thanks.

2. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

In that price range, the Hsu VTF-2 and the Adire Rava are much more than decent. Try a search on them.

3. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Hsu VTF-2

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

5. Ron Alcasid

I've heard much praise for the VTF-2, it looks to be a great sub. Are there any competitors in this class?

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I own the Hsu because I thought it was the best in its price range. It works great for me and I couldn't imagine being without it. One thing though, out of the box it didn't sound that fantastic. Your friend, should he buy it, should be patient until it is properly set up and callibrated. Then, I would bet he is more than pleased. Another thing, although Hsu is a factory to consumer direct sub, that doesn't mean you can't find deals on it. I think it lists for $499, but have heard of people getting it for $50 dollars less, with shipping tossed in. I got mine for something like $390 in auction from Ebay, but after shipping, it didn't come out too much of a savings from the deals you can just get through factory authorized Hsu dealers. I'd definitely check out the link Russell posted.

7. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

8. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Acoustic Visions has their EBS alignment Shiva M2 finished passive subs for $380. Combine that with the Parts Express #300-794 or a stereo receiver you happen to have lying around and you'd have a sub that would kick the crap out of anything in it's price range.
    I have this sub and it's just incredible. [​IMG]

9. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Can he DIY? If he has or has access to the Tools $500 can build what you see in my sig (if you need to buy the tools, it rapidly becomes expensive). The design doesn't have to be exactly like that though. He can build it however he wants. A Tempest in the right enclosure can out gun an SVS 16-46.

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Jack,
    In you opinion, for a bedroom rig, which would you pick to go with B&W 303's? The HSU seems to be the smaller of the two.. The Adire Rava seems very interesting as well.
    UPDATE: Decided to give the Rava a shot.. ordered one, it looks better than the HSU too [​IMG] Jack, i'm going to use it for tv and music. Thanks pal.

11. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

SVS 25-31CS with an $85 Parts Express plate amp should fit the bill quite nicely. [​IMG]

12. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The HSU VTF-2 at $499 direct from hsuresearch is a great deal. And onecall has the CT150s for $449 last I checked. Two of the best

13. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36051
    That's my review of the Acoustic Visions sub I bought. I really is the most impressive sub I've ever heard for under $1000 (amp included). Of course, an amp like I'm using isn't neccessary, but it sure is nice. [​IMG]

14. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

15. Ron Alcasid

16. Peter Jessee

Peter Jessee Stunt Coordinator

The two front-runners in the under-$500 sub race are the Hsu VTF-2 and the Adire Rava. The Hsu is a smaller box, so it might fit in a small room better. I own a Rava, and it is tight and musical (sealed box vs. vented). It will also absolutely rock the place on movies, especially in a small room. I'm about 3 dB down at 20 Hz in my ~250 sq. ft. living room that connects to a dining/kitchen area. In a smaller room, you'd get even more bass.

You can't go wrong with either of these.

Peter

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Darn! just got an email from Adire... the driver for the Rava is on backorder, mid January... ahhh, i can wait. I still ordered it.