What's new

Subwoofer for PC (1 Viewer)

marc_manny

Stunt Coordinator
I want to mess around and make a sub for my PC. I actually have a sub output on my sound card. The thing is that it is a regular pc speaker jack (so i have 2 speaker outputs on my sound card, 1 for the speakers and the other for the sub). How would I make the connection? I was thinking of making a small sealed sub with the dayton 8" DVC shield subwoofer. Would I want it to be powered? I would think yes, but I have no idea if my PC would amplify that output?

This is just something that I want to be really cheap, and fun.

Being someone who like video games I want to really hear the booms and explosion while playing. I also want to feel them, but I do not want a huge sub in my bedroom. I know I can buy a set of pc speakers with a sub, but what is the fun in that?

Thanks,
Marc

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
Marc,

You'll need a 1/8" to RCA stereo adapter (you can get it from Radio Shack) in order to create an interface between the sound card and a sub amplifier.

A sound card does not amplify signals, so you'll need external amps for your speakers *and* your subwoofer. You can't connect a sub directly to your PC.

I think, based on your comments, you are looking to build an underdamped subwoofer system. A hi-fi sub will hardly let you "feel" explosions and such... at least not without very hefty amplification and speakers. Perhaps you might want a sub tuned between 40 / 50 Hz using the DVC driver...

OTOH, I can't see if this will make $ense to you. You'll have to buy some sort of amplified speakers, and if you are going the DIY route, said speakers will need to be of certain quality (high)... that, plus the cost of MDF, the sub's amp, the driver, etc. will be a bit steep.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
ApexJr has some low cost sub amps that would work ok. It's hard to justify spending a couple hundred bucks for a PC sub unless it's part of your main HT.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
How much do you want to spend? Because for the price of a good small sub that reaches about 30Hz with authority you can buy the Klipsch Promedia Ultra's, that give you just that amount of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks