SubWoofer For Hip/Hop

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Antonio<>M, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Antonio<>M

Antonio<>M Auditioning

A few weeks ago I bought Definitive's SupercubeI and I have to tell you it was mind boggling how it sounded with my DVDs.

I was pretty disappointed, however, when I threw in some of my rap music. The bass did not travel as well as I had anticipated and to tell you the truth the stock speakers in my wife's Jeep Cherokee sounded better.

I have since had to return 2 Supercubes (voice coil problems) for they couldnt' handle the music for long periods of time.

Anyone have any recommendations for subwoofers that can handle that deep booty bass as well as the eloquence of a Symphony no. 5 for a comparable price?

Thanks In advance

2. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

3. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Second the SVS recommendation. Sounds like you like it loud. Since bass in rap music is all above 25 Hz, if you get an SVS, make sure to tune it to 25 Hz, and set the subsonic filter at 25 also. This will ensure maximum punch in the common bass frequencies. I'm thinking in rap music, there's a lot in the 40-60 Hz range as far as the main beat/bass.

4. mark rush

mark rush Stunt Coordinator

a bandpass sub works well for rap music, it has that heavy almost car stereo like bass, one that comes to mind is the Paradigm ps1200, some people do not like this sub, my dealer let me try one and the newest version ps1200 hits hard, it sounded better than my paradigm pw2200 on rap music,
    Mark

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

SVS won't sound particularly boomy for any type of music, including rap. You can turn it up really loud if you want, but I find it very unpleasant, and it still won't sound boomy, just really loud. SVS is quite flat, so you're not gonna get the BOOM and slam that you would get with car subs, that people are so used to with rap music, or club music. Your best bet if you're looking for that SLAM, is to put an EQ in the system and boost in there near the 50 hz range, or buy a boomy sub, although this won't sound as good on other music, or movies, nor will it be accurate reproduction. But it sound like this is what you're after. Try an EQ, and boost the midbass a bit, and see if that's what you're after.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've used a two DIY subs using old SVS drivers, 1 sealed and one vented that's close to a 16-4CS, a 20-39CS Plus, and a CS Ultra with rap music and all give outstanding bass. That "Super"cube is really limited by it's size, here are some brands I'd recommend researching, SVS, Adire Audio, and Hsu Research. As you can probably guess my first choice would be SVS.

Why do people assume that if someone listens to rap music they want a one note boom machine? Antonio even made it a point to say that he wants something to handle various types of music.

7. Fernando Saa

Fernando Saa Stunt Coordinator

You don't wanna become a moron by listening to boomy bass, you should try to always become musically smarter by listening to different amp-speaker set-ups and judge by the overall conjuction of instruments in any given music including rap which I love; boomy bass will make you think that everyone thinks you're cool, real flat bass even lots of if will make people look at you with respect. Rap music has lots of deep bass just like raggae, smooth jazz, and organ pipe music, but they're not about boomy bass (or even flat bass for that matter) to transmit their feel. They rely on the whole orchestration and careful recording to achieve it. We all love bass but few own real, powerful bass that'll play anything you throw at it. I will be part of those few when I get my SVS next week. Good luck

8. Jon-C

Jon-C Stunt Coordinator

Listening to Linkin Park "Reanimation" through my PB2+ as I type this. Clean, tight BASS [​IMG] [​IMG]