What's new

Subwoofer for dorm? Shiva vs. DPL12 (1 Viewer)

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
Hello. I am completely new to everything, this site and DIY speakers. I have been lurking for awhile and still have no clue. :)

I have approx. $250 to spend on components (amp & driver) to build a subwoofer. I am a competent woodworker w/ tools and wood does not cost me anything so the cabinet does not come out of my $250 I have to spend.

This thread is right in line w/ my dilemma. I currently do not have the time to learn everything that is needed to design a box but I need it to work pretty much first because my first child coming this month. yeepie.

To sum up this thread, If I put a dpl 12 in a sealed 16" cube box w/ PE 250w amp and stuffed it I would have a very decent/above average subwoofer.

My current equipment is a onkyo receiver and klipch ref-3 II floorstanding, center and surrounds speakers.

thank you very much for any other suggestions or approvals of the above subwoofer.

I would recommend a Shiva EBS alignment. You can get a Shiva driver for @ $120 and run it with a Rythmic 380 watt amp for @ $130. You can get the plans right off of Adire Audio's site under tech. info. See Shiva applications.
You can make a port out of pvc pipe.
I know this puts you over budget, but I've built one of these with alignments with the passive radiator and it will drop you to your knees. Good luck

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Get the MCM 250 watt amp, it's only $100 shipped right now. Shiva and 250watts for $210 shipped.

And actually, for the rest of today the Parts Express Titanic 1200 is on sale for $89.

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
Great. more options. :)

thanks for the input. I do not think I am ready for a ported or passive radiator configuration, maybe later.

As for the other amp options, can you notice the difference? I have not read any other suggestions for the rythmic or MCM so I do not know anything about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks