What's new

Subwoofer for dorm? Shiva vs. DPL12 (1 Viewer)

DaveWo

Auditioning
Alright guys, I'm new here, so be gentle :) So here's my question. I'm planning to build a sub for my dorm room fairly soon. The construction should be no problem, as my dad is going to help me.

I am planning on building a box with internal dimensions of 15x15x15. (I might be able to pull off 16x16x16...if it's necessary to get a good sound).

SO I've emailed a few companies asking for opinions on what driver/amp combo to use and have certainly gotten a variety of answers. I think I've narrowed it down to 2 combos though.

I am thinking either the Shiva with a Rythmik 350 amp....OR a DPL12 with a Parts Express 250 WAtt amp. (These combos are based on price if you didn't notice)

So the guy at Adire said the DPL12 is an upgrade over the Shiva, but if I go that route, we are talking less power. You can see the predicament.

So, suggestions? Keep in mind, I'm a newbie, so if you're going to go into detailed technical explanations, try to put it in laymen's terms (or at least link me to a website that does :D ) Well, thanks, hope you guys can help me out.

DanWiggins

Second Unit
DPL12. Power difference is really pretty minimal, around 1 dB difference in max SPL; not really noticeable. Go with the DPL12, and you'll gain a good 1/3rd octave on the bottom end extension. And that IS noticeable.

Dan Wiggins
Adire Audio

CarlDais

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, Dan Wiggins has given you a good perspecitve.

Also you might want to consider STRYKE Audio...do
a search. You want their SA-1203 driver. It's
John's respsonse to the Shiva....just as capable and
a bit less expensive. He can help with you the design.
He can help with the amp as well. And he is near you.

Parts Express Titanic-II is a very serious contender
in this strong 12" arena...they can help with the desgin and the amps selection.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
Also consider the revised AV12. You can pre-order it for $140 at Stryke Audio.

Matt

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
This application seems to place less emphasis on max SPL, so go for the best response...DPL12 in the 16" cube. 250 watts is more than enough power.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
why not go for the full out Tempest in a 9 cu ft box like i have in my dorm room :D

I personally would go for the 12DPL if space was a concern :P

Mike Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Damn....and I thought a 133L sonotube and a 19" cube tumult was overkill...

I'd go for the 12DPL...quality over the tiny bit of extra loudness is always good.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I assume you are building a sealed box with the dimensions listed. If so, then definitely go with the DPL12 as it works GREAT in a sealed box and 250 watts is plenty for it.

DaveWo

Auditioning
Alright guys, thanks for all the input. Looks like I'm gonna go with the DPL12. Yeah, I'm planning on a sealed enclosure. I'm pretty excited. One more question. Should this be a downfiring woofer, or side firing or what? What are the advantages/disadvantages to each configuration?

Also, how much of a difference in sound will 16" cubed make compared to 15" cubed. Yeah, I know, it's only an inch, might as well go bigger...but if you saw the size of my dorm room, you'd understand....an inch can be a big deal!!!! :)

Allen and Mike - wow, I can't even imagine that kind of bass in a dorm!!! Think I'll stick with the DPL12 for now :D

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Shiva in a ~16x16x19 sealed box in my dorm with the adire 250W amp, and I could rattle the whole floor if I wanted to (but I'm not that mean).

As far as front or down firing, I think it's more a personal preference than anything. I chose downfiring because I wanted it to look like an unassuming end table.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Side or down firing is more personal preference than anything because the acoustical differences are minimal as long as the downfiring configuration has at about 3.5" or more airspace. Downfiring is a bit more difficult to build because legs need to be made, but the driver is protected more than side firing.

Protecting the driver is probably a must since its in a dorm room with all of your drunken parties:D
Kidding.

KyleGS

Second Unit
Go for the 16" box. In the end - it'll be worth it.
That'll be a very solid set-up in a dorm.

DaveWo

Auditioning
Hi, so I'm just about ready to finally order the sub and amp (I know, I'm a procrastinator, but I gotta have SOMETHING to do over Christmas Break, right?). So anyway, I stumbled upon an article on loudspeaker101 under the enclosure proportions link and it said

"Never build a cube shaped box, which is the absolute worst enemy of a smooth frequency response curve."

So is a 16" cube going to be a problem? Should I make it a little taller and thinner? Or will the cube be alright? Thanks for all the help guys.

Dave

DaveKahler

Stunt Coordinator
My understanding is, you're not going to have a resonance or standing wave problem when you're dealing with wavelengths measured in feet within a box measured in inches.

Brian Tatnall

Stunt Coordinator
not the dp, but some of the other adire subs went on sale just to let you know.

Tempests $125.00 shipped to lower 48 states.

Shivas $110.00 shipped to lower 48 states.

at Kyle's place.

VinhT

Second Unit
I just modeled the DPL 12, and am completely stunned. An F3 of 30Hz and only 7dB down at 20Hz? That's insane! I don't think I have ever seen another driver model as well in a sealed enclosure. Seems a DPL 12 and a 150W amp would make the perfect, ridiculously affordable, dorm room bass solution.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks