What's new

Subwoofer for condo (1 Viewer)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I'll be moving into a new condo in March, so I'm hoping for some recommendations on my new subwoofer. Any advice greatly appreciated!

The condo is 634 sq foot, concrete building, hardwood floors. The subwoofers I'm looking at are (in Canadian dollar):

HSU VTF-3 MK 2, $990
SVS 20-39 PC–Plus $1,049
SVS PB12-Plus $1,199

The subwoofer would likely go into the corner closest to the balcony due to space constraints, though when I emailed HSU they recommended the top left corner, and they also recommended the smaller STF-3.

Does anyone have recommendations for Cynlinder vs Box subwoofer? What about downward firing vs front firing? Are there considerations for a room with hardwood floor?

As you can see from the floorplan, the subwoofer would be placed right by my only window, so maybe a box subwoofer is my best bet aesthetically? What is everyone's experience with a subwoofer in a condo, so not to disturb the neighbours too much?

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
Each condo is in a separate unit? or do you have people living above, below, or right next to your unit?

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I have people living above, below, and on both sides of my unit... though it is a concrete building. I'm still worried though!

I'm not looking for huge bass.. I'll be purchasing bookshelf speakers, so I'd like a subwoofer in order to provide a full range, but at the same time I'd like a subwoofer that can grow with me for the next 5 years even when I move to a bigger unit eventually.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
All of those subs will annoy your neighbors. Of that list though, I'd still go with either the 20-39Plus or PB-12 Plus - they have more output than the VTF-3 will IMO. The VTF-3 is a very good sub too though.

The VTF-3 is going to be physically the smallest of those subs, however the cylinder actually takes up the least amount of floor space, though it is obviously much taller than either of the others.

Why not consider the SB-12 Plus? FAR smaller than any of those, and probably will annoy your neighbors less. Also costs less than the others.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
So between these subs:

HSU VTF-3 MK 2, $990 (including shipping)
SVS SB12-Plus Rosenut, $960 (including shipping)

Can the much smaller SVS really live up to the HSU, for roughly the same price? Or is the SVS really just the better pick overall for a condo environment?

Has anyone auditionned the SB-12 Plus?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

It's tough for a 12" sealed sub (SVS) to match the deep bass output of a 12" ported sub, but that's not the point of the recommendation...it doesn't sound like you'd hit the limits of either, or be able to take advantage of what a ported sub would offer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zukz15
Recent bookmarks