Subwoofer For B&W 602s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arron H, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Well, after much deliberation, I ended up purchasing the following speakers:

Fronts: B&W 602 S2

Surrounds: B&W 601 S2

Center: B&W LC6

I am now looking for a subwoofer that will compliment this system (also a receiver if anyone has any suggestions). The B&W dealer recommended that I wait for the new 600 S3 subs and I do plan to give them a look. I am extremely interested in SVS subs as well. I have about $600-750 to spend.

Tom V, IYO, which SVS powered sub will work best with the B&W 600s? Room size is 16 x 14 x 8 (1792 cubic feet).

Has anyone used the HSU V2 with B&W 600 series? As always, thanks for your input.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Hi Arron,

I have a B&W ASW1000 sub with a 600 S2 setup. I've heard a few B&W subs now and I think they are good subs, but there are better deals out there for the money, IMHO. Listen to a couple before you drop cash. I think the HSU and SVS subs have real solid offerings in similar ranges.

Good Luck,

--Steve

3. Jerry T

Jerry T Agent

Hi Aaron,

I have a very similar setup as yours.

4 B&W 602s2 Fronts and Rear

1 B&W LCR6 Center

Room is 1728^3 ft

I had a B&W ASW1000 and upgrade to 2 SVS 20-39cs and there's no comparison. Even a single 20-39 would be no match for the B&W.

I've just upgraded to 2 SVS 16-49cs+.

I believe the SVS will sound great with any speaker.

Cant wait to get them.

Jerry

4. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

Thanks for the input on the B&W subs. I kind of had a feeling that the SVS and HSU subs would offer better value and performance. I'm thinking about starting out with a 20-39pc or 25-31pc.

5. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You should take a look at the Mirage BPS-400...this is a very impressive subwoofer which comes in a nice black-gloss finish. It lists for $1300 but it is being heavily discounted right now at places like Tweeter. I know one guy who saw an open-box model for $650. Also look into Adire Audio, etc.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Hey Arron,
    Your budget is right there for an SVS 20-39PC @ $750.00. I've used one for many months now and still feel it's the best deal outta 16K of equiptment i have. You won't be dissappointed if you appreciate good clean bass... very articulate for music and goes real low (18Hz) for movies. Good luck deciding. [​IMG]
    BTW, the 45 day return policy is pretty sweet. It kinda let me concentrate on the auditioning process back when i bought it... (being an internet purchase and all) A few movies & CD's later, i realized this sub was a keeper. [​IMG]

7. JonnyB

JonnyB Extra

Well Arron, that sounds like a great setup! If you don't mind me asking, about how much did the B&W gear wind up costing you? I'm thinking of something similar, but am afraid to walk into a store here in New York and get quoted New York prices...

Thanks and enjoy!

- Jon