1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer for Athena speaker setup

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Drew_W, Jul 5, 2003.

1. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I posted a query about receivers where I detailed the setup and my room here:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=148597

The question is now which sub will be the best for the room...the speaker selection helper on the Athena website suggested the AS-P300 for my setup (it's an 8" sub)...I have the S8.2 with my Take 5.2s in another room, and the volume control on the S8.2 is at a little less than half...my issue is the carpeting in the basement which might soak up the sound...there's no good corner to put the sub in either...

The Velodyne and JBL subs (among others) I think are downward firing where as the Athena subs are front firing, which would be ideal for me in my basement (I think)...

Can someone clear up the cobwebs in my head about whether the PS-300 will suffice or I should step up to the PS-400 (or another sub altogether), and whether this carpet will pose any issues for me?

Thanks.

2. sheldon M.

sheldon M. Stunt Coordinator

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

If you choose to go Athena definitely go with the 400. You will kick yourself if you do not.

if you can move to 500.00 bucks, better subs are to be had, that play much deeper, louder, and just as clean as the Athena 400 reviewed link above make mention over and over.

B-stock SVS-2531pci or + comes to mind along with HSU to mention a couple of serious bass contenders.

As far as a sub down firing or front firing, it really makes no difference.

The room size, shape, sub placment in it, and if one has a concrete or a wood floor would have a far bigger bearing on sound quality, spl, and tactical feel, than if the sub fires from the front, back, bottom, or upside down...[​IMG]

As far as the Athena 400 goes, it dose get excellent reviews and many seem to be very happy with it's performance.

Regards
    Geoff

4. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Well the reason I was thinking frontward firing might be better is because a downward firing sub sitting on carpet that is relatively "shaggy" (i.e. very very plush) wouldn't really be ideal...

I'm in Toronto by the way, so getting stuff here in Canada isn't quite as easy...even getting a demo of various higher brand speakers/subs is rather difficult...

But the question still remains: would the Velodyne or JBL subs be better bets than the Athena?

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Drew

Sorry did not know you where from the great white north! :b

As far as the JBL & Velo subs, it depends on what models your looking into!

The plush carpet issue you believe may be a problem with a down firing sub, some people place a marble slab, patio stone, etc, under their sub and many say it generally dose help some...

You might also look into P-digem subs being your location is Canada.

Yes, the USA internet only brands do become expensive when getting them delivered to the North. More than likely this is definitely out (at your price point) unless a owner from the north is selling one used.

You might want to check the HTF for sale page for used subs also. Some are selling from up north occasionally.

Regards
    Geoff