Subwoofer EQ experience

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Rick Cohen, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Rick Cohen

Rick Cohen Agent

I finished for now EQing my recently purchased SVS PB2+. I expect overtime I will do a bit more tweaking. For me I had a big hump in the 40hz range which made the subwoofer boom at bit. Now that it has been tamed I have found the sub to be less loud but much more powerful down low where I want the power. I have attached a curve that has before and after EQ along with a predicted EQ outcome. So far I am pleased with the results.

What are your EQ experiences and do you have any suggestions. Thanks RICK [​IMG]

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

No attached file?

I just finished (finally) dialing in my PB2-Ultra, and I used the CV phase control, the low pass filter, and the PEQ to obtain a very flat curve from 100-30 Hz. Below 30-35 Hz, the curve rises gently due to room gain, but I'll take free bass anytime below 30 Hz. :)

All controls worked as advertised and the combination of all three is a very powerful tuning tool.

This sub is ridiculously capable. In the 16 Hz tune, the response just keeps going deeper and deeper (and at a high SPL too). I'm getting a strong response (i.e., still above the 30-100 Hz baseline) right down to 11 Hz - at the listening position. Just amazing.

Regards,

Ed

3. Rick Cohen

Rick Cohen Agent

Ed I thought I attached a file but no luck. So far have searched and can't find how to attach files on the forum site. Sorry[​IMG]

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Rick - you need a website to host the image or the file.

5. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I just finished PEQ'ing my PB1+. I had a 10db hump in the 25-45hz region.

Here are the setting on the PEQ:

Center = 35hz
    Q = .28
    Level ~10db

I didn't re-check it as Avia was too difficult to get right with the sweep. Went too fast and found myslef trying to change the meter range too often. Subjectively I think it sounds better than before. I was pretty surprised my settings were so close to the example used in the manual. I also have a much smaller hump in the upper bass region, however its not large enough to be worth worrying about, and I solved the larger problem with the PEQ on the sub.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer