Subwoofer enclosure shape

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoeFish, Aug 12, 2003.

1. JoeFish

JoeFish Stunt Coordinator

Hello all! I recently posted a similar thread regarding the shape of a monitor. I'm now designing a sub, and I'm curious if subs behave differently.

99% of the non-tube HT subs I've seen are almost perfect cubes. Is there any reason for this, other than asthetics? I thought cubes were bad when talking about standing waves and such.

The reason I'm curious is, I'm planning on doing the 142.5l reference design for the Shiva III. The "EBS" alignment. I want to turn it into a coffee table, but it will be a little tall for that.

Click here to check out an image of my idea.

So, I would like to make it wider and shorter, maintaining the same volume. I'm still learning about vented designs...As long as I make sure there's a port's width between the end of the port and the top of the box, will this change the tuning of the box at all?

Thanks,

-Joe

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

As far as an acoustical standpoint, the subwoofer enclosure shape wont make much of a difference. Of course, if you are talking about a very large subwoofer you can start to get into trouble with several issues but with the standard home theater sub you shouldnt have any troubles. A coffee table shaped sub would be just fine and there are several people that have made that exact item.

The enclosure volume, port length, and port diameter will determine the subwoofers tuning point so as long as you dont change those from the 142.5L design you'll be just fine.

3. JoeFish

Cool, thanks. Will the location of the port make much of a difference? The Adire design has it pointing down, and I might want to put it in the side to make the whole thing shorter.

I've never had a ported sub...should there be much noice coming from the port? ie, will the people seated on the side of the room with the sub hear something drastically different from the others?

Thanks,

-Joe

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

not really, its mostly for air, if you don't go for flared, you might get some chaffing.

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

6. JoeFish

Thanks for the info, both of you. I think I'll point the port away from everyone, towards the TV. That should keep the SPL similar for all listening.

-Joe

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer