Subwoofer Driver Replacement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony AC, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Anthony AC

Anthony AC Extra

Well having read a little more and trying to gain some knowledge (very dangerous), I have the following question.

Would love to build a DIY sub at one stage, however was just wondering if replacing the driver in my current sub would make any real difference or is it a complete waste of time?
    I don't recall the model at this time, however it is a Fidek brand sub, so lets say it's very low end, and it uses an 8" driver, 100W amp. If I was to replace the driver with a far better spec'd one would this be worth the effort (minimal effort obviously). Or if I replaced it with a 10" driver is this completely throwing the existing "design" out, and would make the thing sound worse? I'll say at this time also that it isn't too bad, although may distort somewhat under some conditions.

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

With out cabinet dimension it woukd be imposible to recommened/guess at something. Then on top of that, the amp may have some type of boosting or cutoff filter built in.

If you are serious about going DIY at some time, selecting a driver that may work to some extent temporarly in this cabinet might be able to be used while you build a (proper encloser) to house the new driver to get the performace that it is capable of. A new Amp would more than likely be nesessary also.

Would not even bother with an 8", go at least a 10" if you were even to consider this option. An 8" will more likely be easier to implament in your existing cabinet but if your going to do a DIY in the short future, a 10" would certainly be a better route if one could be found that works temporarly well with the existing cabinet.

Usualy, rarley dose this approach work, putting a new (non stock) driver into a comercialy built sub. To many unknown variables, speaking mainly to the amp. Not that it can't be done, but usually that information is not listed in your paper work and dificult to obtain from the manufacturer.

Geoff

Edit: I forgot and Brian is correct, that the port dimension if ported are needed also, Width of port and length. A couple of reasonable priced 8" drivers are avaiable. But if after you give the internal dimension and port information if it applys, I certainly would look to a 10" if it modeling show it might work temporarly.
    All this bears on the existing cabinet information.

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Geoff is correct. We'd have to know the internal dimensions of the enclosure before we could help you out. We'd also need to know if the enclosure is ported. If so, we'd also have to know the internal diameter and length of the port to figure out the tuning frequency.

If you can give us all this info. we may be able to help. Also, I do know of a very good quality 8" driver, but I have no idea if it will work in this enclosure yet or not.

4. Anthony AC

Anthony AC Extra

Thanks Geoff & Brian for your advice so far.
    Here is the add. info. Yes the sub is ported (model FHS-8SWII). The port has an int. diam. of 70mm, and is 100mm long, both ends are flared. The driver is forward firing, and the sub is ported on the bottom. The internal box dims. are, 329mm (H) x 288mm (D) x 314mm (W). A total vol. of 29.75L. The specs on the sub are Freq. Resp. 40-120 Hz, S/N Ratio >=75dB, Sensitivity

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I would not even waste your time. Chances are high that it uses low density fibreboard and not MDF. Chances are also high that the amp is not... up to snuff. Apart from this, it may be difficult to mate a decent driver with that particular cabinet volume.

Take a peek at the DIY area of this forum. If you were to start from scratch and build your own dub, it would knock the socks off this other proposal.

6. Anthony AC

Anthony AC Extra

Actually the box is made of MDF, the front wall is 22mm thick and all others are 18mm in thickness. If I could ask or put this another way (hey I'm trying to do this on the cheap), and as an intro to DIY. Could I possibly make the existing equip. sound better in another box, I first thought that the existing driver was probably the weakest link.

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hate to rain on your parade, but got go with Neil on this one.

Thanks for going to all that trouble but your ~{MONEY and TIME}~ would be much better spent going full new DIY. And NOT using any of the components from the old sub.

Use it for what it is now, and start saving and reading in the DIY section...

Regards
    Geoff