What's new

Subwoofer doesn't come on in AUTO (1 Viewer)

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,
Our new sub has the off/auto/on features. We set it to auto, but nothing comes out in that mode. When its in the ON position, it's fine. We set the receiver up for a subwoofer and all, I just want to know whats up. Other than that, the sub is great.

Thanks in advance.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
You might try recalibrating it by decreasing the sub's volume and increasing the channel level at the receiver. I've heard some people overcome this issue by sending more "juice" to the sub from the receiver, so to speak.

Another option is to simply leave it on all the time. Many people do this. It won't hurt anything and it'll likely fix your problem.

Finally, you could try exchanging the sub, if you think there could be something wrong that might affect the performance.

Natalie M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't guess its a big deal, It will stay on for a while in Auto, but then it will shut off, even while there is signal there,I just want to make sure everything works. But soundwise, nothing else seems wrong..

Is this a common problem?

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
If it's shutting off, then the sub thinks there is no signal being fed to it. Do what Steve suggested and increase the subwoofer output on your receiver and all should be well...or you could just turn it on and off with your movie watching! ;)
[grammar]

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I think this is a fairly common problem at lower volume levels. Sometimes if I'm just watching OTA broadcasts through my HT system at low volumes, the sub never turns on at all!

If your subwoofer output range goes from, say -10 to +10, on the receiver, I would avoid extremes at either end. I'm told too low of a setting gives you a higher signal to noise ratio, and too high of a setting may result in signal compression problems. I wouldn't go past +3 or so. Make sure to recalibrate the sub if you alter the signal strength.

Ed

Ryan.w.d

Auditioning
Steve_MA is right. I had the same problem with my Velodyne. I had my receiver set at -9 on sub out and my rear sub would not turn on. Turned the gain down on the sub and notched the receiver up a few and that took care of the problem. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks