What's new

Subwoofer directly to LG TV (1 Viewer)

capellastar

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
I would like to connect a standalone subwoofer (didn't buy one yet) to my TV's. Please let me know if this can be done. I have an LG 65SK9000PUA

I like the TV speakers on this model and prefer not to get a speaker system. Just the sub, but I need to know which cables/converters to use.

Thanks!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was hoping the TV had a variable analog audio output, but it doesn't. The only audio outputs are ARC and optical, both of which will be fixed level, as in they won't adjust with the TV's volume, which is absolutely necessary to make it work. I don't see any way to do it and maintain volume control.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Right now, you can get a Klipsch Bar 48 for a tad under $305 on Amazon. I guess the newer 2020 model is about to launch, so when they're gone they're gone. But as far as a I know, televsions, no matter what the cost, are not designed to just stick a subwoofer on it. You'll either need to buy a sound bar, or a receiver with speakers to use a subwoofer.

Don't know how good the Klipsch Bar 48 is, I just ordered it, but at that price point, you'll get better sound than any flat screen TV. There are physical limitations on speakers in flat screen TV's, just because of the space limitations. On LG televisions, your getting 2 speakers that are facing backwards, using the wall to bounce sounds off of it. I think Sony has one TV with downward facing speakers, that bounce noise off of whatever the TV is standing on. (No idea on the sound quality of that.)

In other words, just about any sound bar will give you a better sound than at TV's built in speakers. The Bar 48 has a center channel, so it's 3.1, with the option of adding rear speakers later that are wireless.

Televsions are never designed to just add a subwoofer to it, so get that out of your head. Always use ANYTHING other than HDMI ARC. It will literally down sample any audio to 5.1, regardless of how many channels the movie supports in excess of 5.1 speakers.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
I'm pretty sure BOSE is the very definition of "HiT" or Home Theater in a Box. RUN... no NOT walk, away from Bose.

Yes, you can walk into a Bose store, usually at some mall, and they will gladly show you a Bose, and compare it to a TV that is not connected to any external speakers. In that context, BOSE is an awesome sound.

Then you can find a audio dealer that deals in high end audio, and listen to their setup, and realize BOSE sucks. -Did I mention the build quality of BOSE is terrible? For the money they charge for their product, Bose should have MUCH BETTER BUILD QUALITY.

Case in point: For under 4 grand, you could buy an Anthem MRX 520, Paradigm MilleniaOne 5.0 speakers, and a decent Paradigm subwoofer, installed, and have far better sound quality. I have no doubt you could buy Klipsch or JBL speakers for around the same price point, and still get far more for your money than BOSE speakers.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I would like to connect a standalone subwoofer (didn't buy one yet) to my TV's. Please let me know if this can be done. I have an LG 65SK9000PUA

I like the TV speakers on this model and prefer not to get a speaker system. Just the sub, but I need to know which cables/converters to use.

Thanks!
You may want to check out my article: A Beginner's Guide to Home Theater here on the forum. Although some of the products are out of date (I plan to update the article soon), it will give you a general idea on where to start and possible roads to travel to get the best sound for your budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks