What's new

Subwoofer dilema! (1 Viewer)

DarrenB

Grip
I've been given the task of helping to design and layout a new HT for my brother and sister-in-laws new house. They have a living area that is approximately 18 x 20 and are having a entertainment center built in to one of the walls. They are not real big into the HT thing but would like to have it in this new house. This being the case I have spec'd for them a system that I hope will give them a good introduction to HT.

HSU Research VT-12 surrounds and center
HSU Research STF-2 subwoofer
Reciever ???

Will placing the subwoofer in a enclosed cabinet with a speaker grill on front seriously reduce the effect of this sub?
If so what other suggestions would you have for placement of this sub to make it inconspicous?

Thanks,

DarrenB HT subwoofer placement question?

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
Furthest thing from an expert on the board, but, I'll
take a crack at it...

Should work beautifully, esp. as they are "not real big
into HT".

Receiver: ???

Johnny_M

Second Unit
unfortunatly because room accustics are so different from place to place you really need to test the sub in different locations for the best results. but if they are new to HT and are not that picky "yet" about sound quality it probably wont matter, if they get more into it later on they may find themselves moving things around. a good sub will sound decent from anywhere, but there are always optimal locations.

Johnny

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I am more into movies but that is the same size as my Family/HT room and I run an SVS PB2+. I love to feel things move when things are exploding and such....

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
Darren

That is a good size room. Does the room open up to the rest of the house or is it closed in? I haven't heard the VT12 system but would worry the room may be too large for it. The sub may suffer also. Nothing worse than spending money and doing it halfway. You will always spend more in the future to fix the mistakes. I would look into the Rocket ELT system or something a bit larger. I have always viewed the satellite type systems as more of a dorm/apartment setup. Will they listen to music on the system at all?

Placing the sub in a hole will definitely affect the sound. You will have to play with it to see what will work.

Michael

DarrenB

Grip
Michael,

Yes, the room is open to the kitchen and also has large arched openings to the hallway. The floorplan is very open so there is not much choice in the matter. I'll check out the rocket system but in reallity they just want some added sound for this larger room. My sister-in-law likes the Bose thing but I have steered her away from this option from personal experiences. To me, from the reviews of the HSU system it seemed pretty reasonable. By the way, what is the cost of the rocket system? Guess I'll find out when I research but give me a ball park figure until I can check it out.

Darren

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My room is slightly larger than that with a VTF-2 and it isn't a problem at all.

While you will still get plenty of bass with the sub inside the cabinet, it definitely may not be the best location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks