What's new

Subwoofer died -- need new speaker advice/help! (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I urgently need to replace my 5.1 speakers as my subwoofer just died and the rest of my HT speakers suck anyway.
Here is my deal: I have a Denon AVR-2800. My HT room (aka bedroom) is quite small (NYC apartment). In my living room I have a pair of Celestion 9 speakers hooked up to my old stereo for music listening purposes. I am EXTREMELY happy with the way my Celestions sound and would love a similar experience for my home theater. Also, ideally I would like to get rid of the stereo and play music for the living room through the Denon, which would mean hooking up the Celestions in the living room to be the “B” (Left/Right) speakers and telling the Denon that I have “large” speakers so the bass doesn’t just go the subwoofer but through the speakers themselves. (There is no separate small/large setting for the A/B speakers unfortunately.)
I would like something really good that would last me far into the future and would sound just as good when I move into a bigger space “some day”. I have a great deal of brand loyalty toward Celestion, but they seem to be very hard to find. So I am open to any brand and any and all advice. From a music stand point I listen to Classical, Jazz and Rock, but I find that if speakers sound good with Classical and Jazz, they will do just fine with everything else…
Thank you for your help!
Ted

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
IF you can, go audition the JBL studio Series S38's
My future setup which should be complete by xmas will be
Sub: JBL PB12
Center: JBL Studio Series Center
Rears: JBL Studio Series S36's or 26's cant decide yet
Fronts: JBL Studio Series S38's or S310 cant make up mind.
I heard the S38's and They sound killer for what I what and what I can pay ;)
I have the Sub on its way, and the Center channel will be bought this week. The following week after I get paid ;) I'll get my rear's.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
those JBLs sound great btw! they make good budget speakers. subwoofer-wise: many here prefer the cheaper Sony SA-WM40 sub to be a better performer all around than the JBL. check it out-- it's only $150 or so at Best Buy.

Trey Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Look here at these.
Link Removed
I was very impressed with their Epic Midi Home Theater System set. It retails for $980, but I don't know your price range. Very open and can extend in a larger hometheater when you do move.
Also here are some other choices
(4) JBL S38's with Studio Center and Adire Audio Rava sub
Paradigm (4)Mini Minitors with cc-370 center and SVS CS 20-39PC(or 20-39cs if you have an old receiver or amp with 100 watts or more)
All of these are rather good starts. Check each out and compare.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for all the info guys, this is all very helpfull.

The one other piece of advice I got from another source was for Paradigm speakers -- but they are much more expensive (and probably physically larger, which is not a good thing).

Any thoughts on how they compare to JBLs?

Ted

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
The plus with JBLs is the S38's are a nice size with a GREAT SOUND!!! which is excellent. A girlfriend fom mines brother had paradigms. And they sound good but nothing that cought my attention like the S38's.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Considering it will be $475 for the S38s, I'd go with the nOrh 4.0 package for $850 and the Adire Audio Rava for $400 and be all set. What is your specific budget for new speakers and a sub?

The Paradigms should be excellent speakers as well, along with Axiom, B&W, and Swan Diva.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
A budget?? What's that :D I really hadn't thought about it. Not more than $1500??? In the $500 to $1500 range?? Big enough to get good speakers that I'll be happy with for a long time. Like my Celestions which I got about 10 years ago and I will probably enjoy for another 20.
BTW, the JBL S38s are actually available for $279 at http://www.consumer-direct.com/detai...vpartno=JBLS38
My main problem right now is center speaker size -- I am affraid that neither the Paradigm nor JBL S-Center that I was considering will fit in my beloved (and very good quality) TV cart/stand/thing and I presume that putting it on top of the TV is a no-no (a 30" 16:9 multi-standard Sony WEGA if anyone cares).
Where do you guys keep your center speakers?
Ted

Ruben Zamora

Stunt Coordinator
CENTER speakers should be on top of the TV, and in a perfect center between the Left main and Right main.
You dont want your Left to Right sound to be out of whack it has to fit perfectly :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks