What's new

Subwoofer Decision crunchtime (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Allen, you are suffering from "analysis paralysis".

If you have the floor space, the PB2+ is SVS' performance value leader - it will give you the most bang for the buck.

It plays clean, smooth, deep, without audible distortion or port noise, and can handle large rooms with ease. It can't be touched by any other OEM product for $1,200.

Leave all the technical stuff to the egghead tweakers (like me) and just trust us on this one - in layman's terms the PB2+ will surpass your expectations in every respect and will flat blow you away on the most difficult and challenging DVDs and music.

Pull the trigger and we'll help you get it set-up, calibrated, and dialed in.

Ed

Joe Blech

Stunt Coordinator
Edward: Absolutely love the "analysis-paralysis" term! Have never heard it before but have absolutely been guilty of it.
Allen: I agree - Buy that sucker - upgrade in a week if you really want too. But get something to get you started.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I agree with buying one SVS PB2+ first and see how it works for you. You will probably find out like I did even in my bigger room that I didnt need a second one. ( I had always had dual subs before, NHT, Alantic Tech ect.) And I got to do an A/B with the PB2+ when it got here with my NHT's. Not even a close comparison.. NHT's and amps went off to my brother in laws house for a good home and I am in SVS heaven. One will be very sufficent as not to knock the walls down. Ocassionally when the wife is gone, me and the kids will up the gain from about 1/3, its normal setting after calibration to 1/2 for a good action movie where you want to feel the chest hairs stand up once in awhile.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Well, still havent gotten the sub yet. Been tackling with the upgrade bug cause im my obsession with the B4 when i most likely dont even need it. I'll say to myself "i can order the PB2+ right now and have the sub most of the svs owners have that isnt to extraordinary to have. Or i can work hard and save up and maybe get the B4 in a couple of months and have a sub to brag about and show people pictures and know it will always blow my mind and still go alittle farther. :D

I recently got my computer subwoofer to work again and have finally get to hear what a sub sounds like to keep me inspired to get one. The question i have is, do all these subs sound the same just the more expensive ones go louder?
For instance at 90db will the PB2+ and B4+ sound the same and give off the same boom or is there a difference.

Im hoping this sub lasts for a long time. A loooooooong time, as long as it can that's why im tryin to go out with a bang here.

SethH

Senior HTF Member

They will sound basically the same. The difference is that if you have it cranked you will probably be able to hit around 18 Hz or so at 90db with PB2+ while you could probably get down around 12Hz or so at 90db with the B4+. My numbers are probably off as I'm trying to remember from some charts I've seen recently, but you get the idea. I really think you should just go for the PB2+. If you get it and want more I'm sure SVS would be more than happy to work with you to exchange for a B4+.

KeithY

Stunt Coordinator
Go with the +, I've been very satisfied with it's
performance...till we decided to remodel, now visually it
just doesn't fit in. Now I'm upgrading for the look, a
PB2Ultra with a custom color.

Out of curiosity I will be doing a side by side comparison
before I sell the +.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Allen, I live right next to you in Oak Forest and have no problem letting you demo my PB2+. If you interested to hear it one evening give me a PM. Two local AVS forum members who have heard it have bought PB2+ after the demo at my house.

Charlie B. Ch.

Stunt Coordinator
Guys, I have a related question. My HT room is a relatively small 14'x11'. I only use the system for movies and my listening level is about -10 from reference. What would be a better choice? A 16-46 PC+, a PC Ultra, or a PB2+? Is my understanding correct that a 16-46 PC+ will be able to go down the deepest because of its "tall" physical characteristic? My interest right now is getting all the bass notes and volume is not that much of a conern. Also, what does it mean for a sub to be "musical?"

WayneO

Supporting Actor
"Musical" is used by many to describe a sub that is tight, quick and articulate with no trace of boom. I personally think "musical" used in this sense is wrong since it is the source, the music, that is "musical" not the sub. All the sub has to be is most accurate in producing the signal to be "musical" since that's what the source is by definition. But hey, I wouldn't want to rob the world of it's adjectives.

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
I think it's a shame that the TV-12 and the dB-12 drivers are so closely matched in output when the TV-12 is touted as being so much more. I think the TV-12 driver was developed to whip the pants off the old Plus driver, but not necessarily the dB-12 driver, which came later. Still, I would be inclined to think that the TV-12's real strong point would be a flatter BL curve and longer coil than that of the Plus driver. That probably translates into better accuracy and sound quality, even if the little extra excursion is not quite enough to translate into bigger SPL numbers. Still, I wonder what kind of 12" driver they would develop to get better numbers than the TV-12.

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Well the offer stands, and I would welcome your dumb questions since I have no friends that really are into Home A/V to talk with.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Well today i heard my first real sub (excluding those giant boomy Klipsch and JBL subs at bestbuy) while watchin Star Wars Episode 1 on a Yamaha...i dont know what it was, THX certified 110x7 watts, what is that the 2300? Anywho i was amazed, i was tellin my friend "that thing over there, it's not even that big and it's shakin the hole room even the back wall, you cant even tell where the sub is commin from can you" and he goes "nooope". So while pods (episode 1) are flyin by shakin the walls everytime, i looked at it really hard and said "wait a minute, i dont think that thing even has a 12" in it, only a 10" could fit behind that grill, that thing must be workin it's aerobic ass-sets off".

After the movie i go up to the thing and take off the grill and it's a puny 8" in there and my face went white and there was just silence from 15 seconds, then i raced behind the thing in look for another driver in there and zip, zang zippo. I mean i could definetly see myself pushing a sub higher and deeper then what that thing was at but not by much. The volume of the speakers wasnt even that high either, everything over like 100hz couldnt of been more then 85db.

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...duct.aspx?ID=5

It's the DLS-3500

Now im sold, you could of told me a million times i wouldnt need a B4+ but still would of persisted until i listened to a sub. Im gettin my PB2+ right now, RON! SATTLE UP THE BIKES! 8" with 160 watts......i didnt think it was possible to produce that much bass without like 500 watts into a 12" sub atleast. Oh and i think i blew a Sony 8" sub at bestbuy on accident, i turned on a movie and the thing started pounding like a 50 cal then just went errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgghhhhhh and i shut it off really quick and just slowly stepped away (at mach speed). I had the volume already loud and i thought i was clickin the Sony 12" so i figured i didnt have to bother struggling to turn the volume down with those triangle touchpad things they have at bestbuy.

So anywho, im unbelievably combfortable with gettin a PB2+, since i've never had real bass before it's gonna take me weeks just to build up the courage to have it bee boppin.

When i get this beast, i want it to be like...weak...and start low...so i can kind get used to it, first time the room is gonna be bassified and it's gonna be weird. So what would help after calibrating it, turning the Bass to -10....turning nightmode on or is this thing like a pack of buffalos all around?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks