Subwoofer cuts off after about 5 mins, amp stays on...?

HeathMc

Auditioning
Real Name
Heath McIntire
Hello, I have a Yamaha YST-SW40 sub powered by a Yamaha R-V703. The sub will cut after after 5 mins no matter what, however the speakers will stay on and keep playing. The "auto-on/off" feature is turned off, but even when it is on it does the same thing. I have tried plugging the sub's power into the receiver and also just plugging it strait into the wall, still in does the same thing. When the sub cuts off it's power light goes out, then if i turn it off and back on it starts to play again and then cuts off again. The amp is set to output 25% power to the sub (-15db), even on min or max it still cuts off. The sub is set to 50% power and 100mhz high cut.
Thanks for any help!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sounds like the power supply has died. Or the auto on/off has malfunctioned. Either case...doubt it is fixable(well it is, depends on how much...vs buying a replacement)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have tried plugging the sub's power into the receiver
Never do that. The switched outlet on a receiver is not designed to put out that much power. It's designed to connect a cassette player to.
When it cuts off, how hot is the sub amp?

HeathMc

Auditioning
Real Name
Heath McIntire
Thank you for that tip! The sub or amp in not hot at all. The outlets on the receiver are 100W and the sub is/was 50W so I thought it was ok =/ Thanks again! But even being plugged into the wall same problem.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bakiratbneha