What's new

Subwoofer cuts in and out ONLY when in DD/DTS: (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8 with Parts Express 250 watt plate amp
Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

I DO NOT THINK THIS IS A SUBWOOFER PROBLEM, but a issue with my receiver, as the subwoofer has worked for over a year without fail in 2 channel mode, both digital and analog inputs (I run a optical digital from my CD player), it only stops working when I have a DVD going and it is in DD or DTS.

Like I said, I will drive it hard while listening to music, and it works fine, but even at moderate levels (MUCH lower than music), it will simply stop working in DD/DTS modes.

Any ideas where to start? Is this something you have come across before?

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
"ideas where to start"

Do you have a separate Subwoofer setting for DD/DTS?
It may be that the sub is set for LFE only in these modes. I've come across this in stores when the salespeople can't figure out why there's no bass coming from the sub. It was set at LFE...but I'm not certain it's possible to have set it differently for different modes and have it change just by changing modes.

The easiest way around this is to rewire the speakers so that the sub is between the speakers and your mains.
In other words, go from L and R out on your receiver to the sub, then to the L and R main speakers...you probably already know this.
I've also heard of people hooking the sub up to a separate L and R out for the speakers and running it as a speaker by itself. I've never heard a setup like this, only heard of.
It'll only work if your receiver is capable of running two sets of main speakers at once.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
I have the same proble, with my JBL PSW 1200. The people at JBL said it was the amp going out. It comes back on if i tap on the back (amp). I've heard that this is a common problem with JBL subs. Which inputs are you using? Mine seems to work a little better when i use the line level inputs. Good luck, and keep me posted.
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
$hit...

I turned on the sub amp today, and POP! It made a loud pop and nothing.

Fvck. I think the amp is dead.

ADMIN: could you shoot this over to subwoofers/speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks