What's new

Subwoofer Crossovers. (?) (1 Viewer)

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
Hi.
I lost my instruction manual and for some odd reason I can't find an answer anywhere else.

I have a Velodyne CT series sub from about 6 years ago. I want ALL the bass to go only to the sub. I have 2 small satellite speakers on the wall. I have the subwoofer hooked up the old fashioned way since my receiver does not have a separate input for a sub.

Question: What should I set my Freq. Response, Phase, and the IN/OUT crossover switch too? When I switch the crossover switch to OUT the sub gets louder.

My only purpose for the sub is for music. ...mainly radio and cd's.

Thanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
Most times, OUT is correct, and you set your crossover point on your AVR / Pre-Pro....

To send all bass to the sub, you generally only have to set all speakers to small. Then set your cross-over where you want it. Once again both of these are on the AVR / Pre-Pro.

There are a million unique way to run the sub, that could make this not the way you should run it though in all honesty. But this is the typical setup and method.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Is this a stereo or multi-channel receiver? If it isn't at least a pro-logic model, you likely don't even have a setting for small or large. If that is the case, you would have to run the speakers in parallel with the sub, which means adjusting the x-over by ear compared to the satellites.

If it is a pro-logic receiver, you probably won't have a way to adjust the x-over point, but you will be able to use the small/large setting, and you would want to set the mains to small and sub = yes, then bypass the sub's x-over (see below).

Phase - start with 0. This should work in most cases. Adjust the x-over frequency by ear until it sounds like it blends well with the satellites. I believe "In" and "Out" refer to whether the sub's x-over is used (bypass), but I can't recall which is which, though you should be able to tell by adjusting the freq. knob with both settings, as it should make a difference with one and not the other.

Lee Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Lee Bailey
John, I think you meant to say run your sub in series with the mains, using the speaker level inputs and outputs.

He should contact Velodyne and verify the setup he is trying to use. Most plate amps I believe use a seperate crossover for the speaker level connections, non-adjustable.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oops. Yes, in series (inline?) with the sub via speaker level, and speakers set to large if the setting is present, allowing the sub to handle the x-over (likely fixed) to the satellites.

Mike JM

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Awia receiver from like 1992. Yeah, it has Pro Logic, but no, i'm not using it for video. This is strictly a stereo setup. 2 speakers and the one big sub. There are no adjustments for big or small speakers. Yeah, I have my speakers hooked up to the subwoofer since I have no pre-out or whatever it's called for the rca hook up on a receiver.

I just don't want the bass to needlessly go through my wall speakers. Less vibration up there the better.

Does setting the frequency at "X" mean that only frequency's of "X" and lower go to the sub?

This sub is 6 or 7 years old and I can't imagine it being much different then subs today. It was pretty expensive back in the day. Like $650.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, sort of. A crossover is not a brick wall; it will reduce output over the range as you move away from the x-over point. The slope of the x-over determines how quickly the reduction occurs, and it is generally steeper for the sub compared to the satellite speakers. If you have the satellites connected to the sub, they are most likely unaffected by adjusting the x-over on the sub; they are fixed at one x-over point. Just get some foam rubber or weather striping to isolate the speakers from the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks