subwoofer crossover

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by chris bruce, Jan 29, 2005.

1. chris bruce

chris bruce Stunt Coordinator

I have a home theater. I have 3 subwoofers. I'm not sure what to set the crossover freq. on the subs at. I can go from 60hz to 180hz. I want as much bass as I can get. I want to feel everybass note that their is to feel. I vave all the subs at the 180hz range and I don't know if I shouls turn them down to the 60 hz range. Can somebody please explain what the diffeence whould be. Let me tell you I have 2 subs in the front of the room and 1 sub behind me. Should I set some subs at different freq. or keep them all the same. I would apreciate any input. Thanks a million

2. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

How capable are you surround speakers? Response range? Also do you have them set to large or small?

3. chris bruce

chris bruce Stunt Coordinator

I have infinity qps. They go from 80-20000hz. And I have it set to small. Hope this helps

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Set them to small and set your crossover at either 100Hz, 110Hz, or 120Hz. Experiment with these 3 (assuming your receiver has these options) and see which sounds best to you. General rule of thumb is that you set the crossover as low as possible, but that is limited by your other speakers. Also, you don't want to set above 120Hz unless absolutely necessary.

5. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I agree. If your receiver has an adjustable x-over set it to 100hz (most common). If is not adjustable it is most likely all ready set to 100hz, in which case you should turn your subs x-over all the way up to avoid double filtration.

If you use your receivers x-over(if it has one) turn your sub all the way up as well.

Furthermore, these are best case scenarios for movies. Music would be a different beast all together.

6. Ron_Yeoh

Ron_Yeoh Extra

My Pioneer VSX510 tells me to set the crossover to 200Hz if my speakers are small which they are...but you guys are recommending not higher than 100Hz....what should I do? My sub is a 5yr old mirage PS12-180 which is rumbling oddly at times (not affected by crossover setting)

7. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Pioneer's manuals sometimes give misguided advice on setting the crossover.

If you set the crossover to 200 Hz, you'll have localized bass (i.e., you'll be able to hear where the bass is coming from, which you don't want). Also, your sub may not be capable of going up to 200 Hz, in which case you will be missing some bass.

You want to set the crossover slightly higher than the lowest frequency your speakers are capable of (e.g. if your speakers are rated for 80 - 20000 Hz, +/- 3 dB, you'll want to set your crossover to 100 Hz or so).

8. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Believe it or not, you might actually be getting less bass with all 3, especially with one in the back. The subs will actually cancel each other out. So it would be worth it to try turing 1 or 2 of them off and testing.

At least see if the sub in the rear has a phase switch. Set it to 180.