Subwoofer crossover?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Adam_WM, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

I have a Onkyo TXSR-600 and a Polk Subwoofer. I have the sub running from the SUB PRE OUT on the receiver to the LFE unfiltered jack on the sub. The receiver has a sub woofer filter and so does the sub. What should I do? I have the frequency in the receiver set to 120 so that I can let the filter in the sub do the work. Is this right? Help!

2. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

um.................it's not entirely clear what you mean by:

"The receiver has a sub woofer filter and so does the sub."

but you DO want to use the "unfiltered" or LFE input jack on the sub, as you said you ARE doing.

are you saying the receiver has a separate "filtered" and "unfiltered" sub output? if so, you want to use the "filtered" or "LFE" output on the receiver. otherwise, using the "sub pre-out", as you ARE doing, is correct.

if you have the crossover frequency in the receiver set to 120Hz, then the receiver is what's doing the "filtering". and in that case you do NOT want the sub "filtering" what the receiver sends it with it's own crossover, so you use the sub's "unfiltered" or LFE input, and the sub's crossover is bypassed. this is what you say you're doing, correct?

3. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

No, you're right. I'm using the unfiltered jack on the sub and the LFE out on the receiver. The receiver is set to 120Hz. So I'm all set right?

4. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

sounds good. you set it to 120Hz for a reason, i presume.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you set the x-over to 120, that is also applied to the rest of your speakers that are set to small. Depending on your speakers, you may be giving up midrange to your sub, which is not designed for midrange. If anything, you should turn the x-over on the SUB all the way up and the receiver's as low as you can based on the low end response of your other speakers.

6. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

he's already properly using his sub's unfiltered LFE input, although it probably doesn't hurt to go ahead and turn that xover knob all the way up (just in case). i'm assuming he's chosen a high xover for a particular reason. adam?

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I guess I don't understand the unfiltered LFE input. Does that mean it supposedly bypasses the x-over? I have the free PSW202 sitting in my livingroom, unopened right now (doh, no unfiltered LFE input on it). If it is truly an unfiltered input, the x-over setting on the sub will make no difference.

My sub (HSU VTF-2) has an x-over bypass, which was one of the main reasons I chose it.

8. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

yes. some subs have a toggle switch to bypass the xover, others have a separate input jack. different approaches to the same "issue".

xover bypass is a nice feature, and i use it on my sub, but it's certainly not necessary. setting the sub's xover above the receiver's xover setting produces the same affect. i could see it being useful in an instance where a receiver's xover is set higher than a particular sub's xover can be adjusted.

9. Ronneil Camara

Ronneil Camara Stunt Coordinator

So guys, what is your crossover setting, 80 or 100? I know that 80 is THX recommended. My setting now is at 100.

What is it in 80 that will not be in 100?

Thanks.