Subwoofer crossover

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Benihana, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I'm new here, and i have a question. I have a Sony SA-WX700(really impressed by this one), and I need to figure out a way to get this thing crossed over to like 30hz, what kind of crossover will do this?? This thing goes very deep, but my main speakers go deep enough, and I just want this for the subsonic levels, my main speakers are Mirage M-3si 30-33,000hz +-2db. Thanks.

2. Andrew S-

Andrew S- Stunt Coordinator

I wouldnt cross the sub that low. Leaving your fronts playing that low will eat power and unless your fronts have a dedicated sub the extra low frequencies will take away from your midbass/midrange area.

I would cross in the 40-50hz range.

3. GrahamT

GrahamT Supporting Actor

Welcome to the HTF,

I agree with Andrew, set it around 50 Hz. You could build a low pass crossover but it probably isn't worth it.

4. Benihana

This is for music only guys, sorry i forgot to mention it earlier. I know that a hometheater setup won't work as good for music. Any ideas??

5. Andrew S-

I would double my emphasis on this for music. Music has a lot more subbass. If you let your mains play this it will stress them a lot. Not to say it couldnt be done but it will be easier and sound a lot better with your sub crossed higher.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What are you driving these speakers with? Does it not have a built in x-over? The sub has a built in X-over as well, i'd just set it to it's lowest point and adjust the gain to taste. This sub is probably adding a lot of oomph, but in reality, likely does not truly reach down to 20Hz with authority. Sony does not list the -3dB for the sub, so there is no way of knowing from the specs, just a guess, meaning if you filtered it at 30Hz, you probably aren't going to get much out of it.

7. Benihana

Maybe i'm using the wrong sub, my mains have a flat response to 24hz, what sub can i use that will TRULY blend in with these speakers??

8. John Garcia

John
    You need something that can go to 20 clean, with extension below that. SVS PB2 or 20-39, HSU VTF-3 or TN1220, DIY.

9. Benihana

how bout a 16-46? what that be better than the 20-39?? Thanks.

10. Benihana

you think this would be the time to do a sonosub Tempest with like a 18hz port?? Thanks.

11. John Garcia

John
    Yes, if you are open to DIY, then a Sono/tempest is going to get you the most bang for your buck. A friend has one tuned to 17Hz [​IMG] It reaches well into single digits. The 20-39 will already go very low, and the 16-46 will obviously go lower, if that's what you are looking for. Even the 25-31 is extremely impressive in volume and depth. The larger cylinders are not to my liking though, visually anyway [​IMG]

12. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

13. Benihana

Well, there is just something about a sub that does wonders to the soundstage, even though if its just playing the really low frequencies, it adds life to any speaker system if done right. I just wanted to add something for the really low frequency, sort of like how a REL subwoofer aids in the subsonic levels, where they are crossable to like 22hz, if you understand what i'm saying. Will a boxed Tempest be able to reach into the single digits as well? Thanks.

14. John Garcia

John
    I can't answer that, but if you ask in the DIY area, someone can probably help you with specs for a box for the tempest that will reach single digits (or close).

15. Andrew S-

From what I have read CDs do not contain any information below 20hz. Maybe someone else can confirm/deny this.

16. Benihana

what do you guys think of the VMPS Large or New original subs? Seems thats exactly what i'm looking for.