What's new

Subwoofer/Crossover/SPL Questions (1 Viewer)

RobSB

Agent
Hey, I just ordered my first HT system (Fluance SX-HTB, Dayton 10" sub, and H/K AVR-225 receiver) and am eagerly awaiting its arrival. I have two questions:

1. The crossover on the 225 is set at 100. I have been reading that it's a little high and 80 is ideal. The 225 was highly recommended by many people! Is this a real problem or nothing to worry about?

2. Is it ok to put my subwoofer near the seating instead of the TV, by the rear left speaker? I guess I could put it up front, but it would be easier in the back.

3. Does anybody in the Los Angeles area have a SPL meter they would be willing to lend to me for a little while? I know calibration is a must, but I can't justify a $50 SPL meter that I'm going to use once or twice. Avia or DVE would also be nice, but I'll probably end up buying Avia.

Thanks in advance.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

I've been on the forum for about 5 years now, and I've heard this exact same thing literally HUNDREDS of times- and nearly every single time the person will later post that it was a great investment, and that they used it far more often than they originally thought.

It is the wisest $50 you can spend on your system, hands down. You will use it a few times per year, and you will have it so when you geta ll your friends, family and guests addicted to this hobby- you can be the hero who comes in and has all these high-tech tools to help them with their setup ;)

Trust me, $50 could not be better spent in the realm of HT.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
wow Rob, you have a VERY similar setup to what i have now (exact same speakers, different receiver)...i think you will be VERY pleased for the money...
as for calibration, I, like you havent yet plunked down for a SPL meter, but will when financial times get better :)
for now, all I did is sit in my primary listening & let the test pattern in my receiver cycle through & closed my eyes & tried to get each speaker at the same volume (or at the same volume I perceived) - primitive yes, but it's all you/I can do for now I guess...please let us know what you think of the Fluance/Dayton combo...I think it's the best low price (and I mean low as in everything for under 500$ low) combo available...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks