subwoofer creating the wrong kind of buzz

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimothyS, Apr 10, 2002.

1. TimothyS

TimothyS Auditioning

I recently set up my home theater for the first time. When the subwoofer is plugged in I get a loud buzzing in the other speakers that immediately stops as soon as I disconnect the subwoofer. Any suggestions?

2. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

Assuming you are plugging the subwoofer into the right place and all that, then you have a classic ground loop.

I'm not recommending that you violate any safety codes or anything, but if it were my powered subwoofer and it had a three pronged power cord, I would put a two-pronged adaptor on it and plug it into the wall outlet to see what happens. Not that I'm recommending you try this and I'm certainly not going to tell you that it solved my identical ground loop problem with an amplfier in my system!

If you just happened to try this and it just happened to solve the problem and you just happened to be uncomfortable defeating the three pronged power cord, you MIGHT be able to accomplish the same thing by making a custom RCA subwoofer cable with just the center conductor soldered in the place and no ground wire connection. If disconnecting your cable TV input wire also solved the problem, you MIGHT also be able to solve the problem by doing the same kind of thing to the cable TV input connector instead.

Ground loops are kind of funny to track down. If this is your problem, it is probably caused by two different paths to earth ground -- one through your house's electrical wiring tied to one copper rod pounded into the ground and another through your cable TV wiring tied to another copper rod pounded into the ground.