What's new

Subwoofer Cord Ground Issue (1 Viewer)

Tony Haynes

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Haynes
I bought a (used) second Cerwin Vega V12s subwoofer. While the sub was very well taken care of and in really good condition the provided power cord was obviously bought as after-market. While the female plug fit the sub male with no issues, There was a sticker that indicated a part number not associated with the V12s. A computer monitor cord perhaps?

Regardless when I use the after market cord there is a terrible buzz from the sub. When I swap it out with my original cord the buzz goes away. The difference in the cords is the after market has three prongs and the original has two. Of course a grounding issue. But it was a simple fix swapping the cords.

Does anyone know where I can purchase a two-prong male (YP11) to three prong female (YC12) Cord?

Tony Haynes

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Haynes
Thanks for the fast response!

The two prong male and three prong female Cord seems to be enough of a specialty item that a simple Amazon search is fruitless. There are any number of three prong male to three prong female cords however.

I am assuming I have to special order it??

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm confused. The manual shows the sub uses a 3-prong grounded cable. You say your original is only 2-prong with no ground?

Tony Haynes

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony Haynes
I'm confused. The manual shows the sub uses a 3-prong grounded cable. You say your original is only 2-prong with no ground?

The manual only mentions an “IEC Cord”. From my rudimentary search it seems that is a generic term for the female portion of the Cord. Regardless the two prong solves the buzzing issue (grounding issue) hence my desire to find a second two-prong male to three-prong female Cord. Thanks for the help!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you’re that determined to get rid of the ground (not advisable) you can always just use an AC ground lifter (cheater) plug adapter.

853C94B5-500C-41E6-B521-C74A61BDE28B.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks