Subwoofer connections

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Weeks, Aug 28, 2001.

1. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

If you connect a sub to your receiver via the sub-output jack on the back of the receiver, are you only going to get bass from select sources only- (cd, dvd)(dolby sources)? Will you still get subwoofer effects on Phono, FM, etc? Would I be better off to connect the sub inline with the main speaker outputs. This is concerning an SVS 20-39PC connected to a Yamaha HTR5280. My Yamaha manual says that the subwoofer volume cannot be controlled through the receiver and must be controlled by the volume control on the sub. It also states that depending on SPEAKER SET, DDLFE LEVEL and DTS LFE LEVEL that some signals may not be output from the SUBWOOFER jack. Has anyone out there hooked a sub up to a Yamaha HTR5280? If so, did you run into these problems and did you find a solution? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks, Tom

2. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

Tom,
    You have one of the few receivers in the world with NO subwoofer level control. It's a stunning omission but we verified it. There is none. Not to worry you have lots of adjustment in the PC amp, it's just that you'll be getting out of your seat alot while you calibrate.
    I can't say for sure but I'd guess that if you set your mains to "Small" the receiver will shunt off low bass (not sure what the Yammy cutoff is, 80 or 90Hz I think) to the sub. Some receivers send bass to the sub with CD/LP etc. even if you are set to large however, you just need to try both.
    Deriving a bass signal is pretty easy from any source, it's just analog crossover technology at work.
    Ron