Subwoofer connection

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Hicks, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Jason Hicks

Jason Hicks Auditioning

I've searched this forum, but didn't find the answer to my specific question. I also tried posting this under Speakers/Subwoofers but got no takers so far.

I ordered a 20-39 PC+ and I'm connecting it to the pre-outs on my 2-channel Denon integrated amp. (I know, I probably should have invested in the receiver first, oh well.)

My question is: is it safe for those pre-outs to Y them together and run a single cable to the sub, or will that cause problems in the long run? I don't want to fry those outputs if it will be some kind of short. I'm not in a position to replace it anytime soon.

This was a classic case of "Buy first, ask questions later." I was in a hurry to beat the Summer Sale deadline. In fact, my confirmation e-mail was stamped 22 minutes after the official deadline, but that's SVS for ya.

Thnks in advance for any advice.

Jason Hicks

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"My question is: is it safe for those pre-outs to Y them together and run a single cable to the sub, or will that cause problems in the long run?"

You will probably be okay, although you could run two separate cables if needed.

Michael

3. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Jason,

I would be careful - I don't think you should "Y" together any output. Outputs are low impedance and each output will have it's own output voltage. When you "Y" them, you are connecting them in parallel with each other, lowering the impedance by half.
    You can "Y" inputs together, as they are high impedance. In other words, you can run the output of a CD player to 2 pre-amps, but you shouldn't run the outputs of 2 pre-amps to 1 channel of a power amp.

Greg

4. Jason Hicks

Jason Hicks Auditioning

Thanks for the info, guys. I guess I should probably play it safe. The next step is to see if SVS will let me get another better cable at the reduced price. I'm sure I can sell the second one whenever I get a receiver.

Jason

5. StephenRabinowitz

I bought the Monster sub woofer cable & it has a "Y" connection at the subwoofer end.