subwoofer connection ?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Aris A, Jun 28, 2004.

1. Aris A

Aris A Stunt Coordinator

Can you tell me if I'm doing this the right way. I'm running my subwoofer connections out from my receiver pre-outs to the subwoofer input. I do have a separate system for my music needs and I was wondering if instead the wires originally coming from the amp of my music setup to the speakers, I will run it to the speaker input of the subwoofer then out to the speakers(cd player+preamp+amp+subwoofer+speakers sequence). In short I'm sharing the subwoofer functions between my HT and music setup. Anyhow I won't be running my HT & music at the same time. In doing this would I fry something along the way? Should the signal for the sub be coming only from a receiver or preamp?

2. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Generally, but check your equipment instructions to be sure...

If the subwoofer input is an RCA jack or two, then pre-amp output or an amp's (or receiver's) monitor out or pre-out also with RCA jacks should be connected. (powered sub taking line level input)

If the subwoofer input is a set of screw terminals or binding posts, then an amp's speaker outputs should be connected. (unpowered sub taking speaker level input)

Unfortunatley in most cases if the amp subwoofer output is a set of screw terminals and the sub itself has only an RCA jack input, you may not connect the two this way without an attenuator in between (looks like a small box with a volume control knob).

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

3. Aris A

Aris A Stunt Coordinator

Allan,
    I do have a powered sub and last night I double check the connections before going far with this idea and found out (1)RCA input(line level), (2)sets of binding post(speaker input and satellite speaker output). This sub was part of a HT package which probably tells why there's this set of binding post. Anyway it's just an idea of mine hoping to add "ummph" to my music setup. Thanks for the reply anyway.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

It sounds like you should be able to do that