Subwoofer Connection Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Doug_L, Jun 20, 2002.

1. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

I'm a little embarassed to ask this, because it seems so basic, but here goes:

My friend just bought a new subwoofer and he's trying to connect it to his reciever. The receiver has a single LFE RCA output. The subwoofer has stereo RCA inputs (ie: Left and Right). How does he get the entire LFE signal to the subwoofer properly?

I think a single cable from the reciever's LFE RCA output into either the subwoofer's Left or the Right RCA input would do it, but does he need to split the signal? And if he does split it with a simple Y-connector, won't he just be sending 2 identical mono signals to the sub?

I'm sure the sub's manual covers this, but it's not at his fingertips now, and I'm in another city.

Hope someone can help with this basic question. Thanks.

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

It's a quite logical question. The answer is plug the single RCA line-level jack into either L or R on the sub amp.

Here's what the SVS manual says:

3. Doug_L

Doug_L Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. That's exactly what I thought, it has been a while since I've talked subwoofers.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Consult your Subwoofer's Manual! I originally connected my brand-new SVS 25-31PCi with the RCA 'Y' connector, ... because that was how my AudioSource SW15 was connected! The AudioSource Manual Instructions reads ...