What's new

Subwoofer Connection Question (1 Viewer)

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a little embarassed to ask this, because it seems so basic, but here goes:

My friend just bought a new subwoofer and he's trying to connect it to his reciever. The receiver has a single LFE RCA output. The subwoofer has stereo RCA inputs (ie: Left and Right). How does he get the entire LFE signal to the subwoofer properly?

I think a single cable from the reciever's LFE RCA output into either the subwoofer's Left or the Right RCA input would do it, but does he need to split the signal? And if he does split it with a simple Y-connector, won't he just be sending 2 identical mono signals to the sub?

I'm sure the sub's manual covers this, but it's not at his fingertips now, and I'm in another city.

Hope someone can help with this basic question. Thanks.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
It's a quite logical question. The answer is plug the single RCA line-level jack into either L or R on the sub amp.

Here's what the SVS manual says:

Usually, a simple mono, shielded 75ohm A/V RCA type cable is used to take the subwoofer output of your DD/Dts surround sound receiver and feed the low-level input of the sub's amp. There is no need to "split' the signal and feed both inputs on the sub, since the inputs are "summed' before the amp stage.

Doug_L

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. That's exactly what I thought, it has been a while since I've talked subwoofers.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Consult your Subwoofer's Manual! I originally connected my brand-new SVS 25-31PCi with the RCA 'Y' connector, ... because that was how my AudioSource SW15 was connected! The AudioSource Manual Instructions reads ...
These RCA jacks are designed to accept a line level signal from a receiver, pre-amp, surround sound decoder or similar device. When using a single line level output from another unit, a Y connector should be used to send the signal to both the left and right inputs.
After REF Calibrating my setup, I finally read the SVS Manual while listening to Diana Kralls Music CD where it only recommended connecting to either Sub Input was enough, ... so I turned-off my setup, removed the 'Y' Connector, re-attached my AR Sub Cable to the left channel and then re-REF Calibrated it with Video Essentials discrete LFE Test Signal!
My thought is always follow the Sub MFG. Operating Manual to be safe.
My $0.05 cent, uh, due to inflation, make that $0.25 cent worth,
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks