What's new

Subwoofer connection question (1 Viewer)

Kevin*H

Stunt Coordinator
The manual of the Yamaha YST-SW1500 states that higher sound quality will be achieved by connecting your amplifier
to the subs LFE input (if your amplifier can cut off high frequencies) my question is can the Yamaha RX-V2500 or any
AV Receiver do this or do you need a separate amplifier?

Darren_N

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin,

As long as a sub is not passive (no built in amplifier), the easiest, if not the best, way to connect is by using the receiver's sub out and the sub's LFE input. After that, just make sure you set your speaker size, speaker distance, and crossover so that it best suits your set-up. And, of course, balance your speaker levels with an SPL meter.

Darren

FeisalK

Screenwriter
yes the 2500 (and any receiver currently available on the market) has a crossover setting.

there are 2 steps to control this - firstly setting the filter level itself (normally the recommendation is 80Hz and below to the sub);

and secondly putting it into effect - you can do this by telling the reciver your front speakers are small (even if you have floorstanders)

From what i remember of my old Yamaha it had an option to redirect the bass to either subwoofer only, both sub and front speakers, and fronts only.

Elliot_W

Agent
My NAD AVR had an on screen menu to turn the subwoofer "on", set fronts to "small", etc.
Its own internal crossover kicked in once the sub preout was in use.

I did turn the crossover to the max setting on the sub, however, to make sure it wouldn't interfere with the AVR's x-over level. You may want to do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks