subwoofer connection? help newb.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by fredZS, Feb 21, 2006.

1. fredZS

fredZS Auditioning

I have a current Yamaha Reciever RX-V490. Its a sucky Prologic Receiver but it gets the job done by powering my 4 speakers. 2 connected to A and 2 Connected to B and both are pressed.

Now, whats lacking is a subwoofer. This receiver has no Sub Outs [​IMG] .. any Ideas on where I can connect the subwoofer ?? Im gonna get an Active Subwoofer. Something like a Wharfedale SW-150.. and I was hoping if i could connect them to my Headphone Outs ??? [​IMG]

2. Andrew*B

Andrew*B Auditioning

Does the sub have speaker in and out connection,

3. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I had a look at the online manual for your reciever and there's only one possiblity. You can do what they call a line-level connection, which I think Andrew is eluding to above. If the sub allows for it, it'll have in/out, right/left speaker connections.

What you must do is run the front left and right speaker connections out to the sub and then from the sub back out to your front speakers. What this does is, it has the sub's crossover split the high and low frequencies instead of your reciever (which lacks the ablility).

What I would do instead, however, is upgrade to a good, low-priced (if money is an issue) 5.1 reciever and add the sub later. You can buy very capable recievers, now, for between $200-$250, new, and even lower, used. You will notice a huge difference between matrixed Dolby Prologic and discrete 5.1. Even the low frequency effects are much more pronounced with such a reciever. Only my opinion and you can take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

Shane
    Yamanashi prefecture, Japan

4. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

Whoops! What I described above is actually called a speaker-level, not line-level connection. My bad.

5. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

I think what Andrew and Shane have eluded to would be your only option with that receiver. The subwoofer would need to have speaker level inputs and outputs as well.

What you would need to do is run speaker cable from your receiver's left and right main channels to the inputs on the subwoofer, then run speaker cable from the outputs on the subwoofer to your left and right main speakers.

Essentially, with this configuration, any low frequency signal that would be routed to your speakers will be "intercepted" by the subwoofer and be handled there. The higher frequency signal will be passed onto the left and right main speakers. The manner in which the sub will determine which signals are handled by the sub and which are handled by the main speakers is the low level crossover knob or dial on the back of the subwoofer. Here's a picture below of the rear of a subwoofer that has these options.

I would suggest a good budget subwoofer such as the Athena AS-P4000 which can be had from Amazon for $150 shipped for your application. It will be a decent subwoofer for some time and can be used whenever you do, if you do decide to upgrade your receiver later on... -TD

[​IMG]