Subwoofer cone materials - Mid-power drivers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rory Buszka, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I have a question about subwoofer cone materials and how they affect certain things like transient response. Now that I'm thinking about my woofer, I'd like some information about this.

How does a poly-cone subwoofer compare to something like the Kevlar-impregnated pulp cone used on the SVS 12" drivers?

The reason I'm asking this is that I was looking at the SVS woofer and I was noticing how remarkably much it looked like the first-generation BPD-1201 woofer, designed and made by the former FRC Soundworks. (I understand nowadays they're called something like Destjil Engineering, I kind of liked the sound of FRC Soundworks better than Destjil -- how does one pronounce that?) Anyway, my Blueprint 1001 woofer features what looks like the same motor structure, the same bumped back plate and vented pole piece, and the same basket. The only real difference is that my BPD1001 has a regular-style dust cap and a poly cone. Oh, and it's only 10". So I'm wondering if my $80 find is of the same blood as the SVS driver.

Even if it isn't, it's been a great woofer for me. It has a nice low Fs and high 350w max power handling. It could be very happy in a ported sonotube, which is what I might do if my sealed-with-bass-boost subwoofer doesn't pan out.

2. In the game of subwoofers, you WANT as stiff a cone as possible. Poly is usually not as stiff as the epoxy coated kevlar fiber impregnated cones.
    ..however, poly cones are usually a lot cheaper.
    Note, that while the 1001 and the SVS driver look the same, that is just it. Two drivers can look identical and have COMPLETELy different T/S parameters. Heck, take the motor...you couldn't tell just by looking on the outside whether or not it has XBL2, or a faraday copper ring.
    and Destijl (de Stijl) is pronounces d[​IMG] st[​IMG]l[​IMG] or d[​IMG] st[​IMG]l[​IMG]