Subwoofer Choices

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chris Reehl, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Chris Reehl

Chris Reehl Auditioning

My current audio setup is as follows:

H/K AVR 330
    2 JBL e80s

I recently won a Yamaha RXV2500 in a drawing, so I'm probably going to sell my H/K and buy a sub.

I figure to spend about $350-400. My room size will vary quite a bit from a slightly smaller room at college to a larger room (about 15x15) at home. I listen to roughly 50:50 music/movies. I am currently considering the following:

SVS PB-10
    HSU VTF/STF models
    Dayton Titanic 10" MKIII kit from PE

Are there any other subs around this price that I should be considering? How do the subs already on my list compare to one another in performance and design (example: ported vs. sealed)? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

2. Joey_V

Joey_V Second Unit

I have the HK330 and I love this guy! You could always sell the RXV2500 and make more money that way. I dont think there would be much of an audible difference between the two receivers anyway - unless you want to keep the 2500 because it has more features. Anyway, that's beside the point.

For around your budget, I would go for the PB10 no questions asked.

[​IMG]

3. Chris Reehl

Chris Reehl Auditioning

I want to keep the RXV2500 for future upgradability. I also think the 330 is a fine receiver, and it's served me well!

4. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'd say go with the SVS. I ordered one and it is arriving today! I've got a Marantz SR5400, not the same level as your Yamaha, and B&W DM602s2. I can't wait to try it out when I get home.