Subwoofer choice...help me decide please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Craig*C, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

I'm looking to get a subwoofer for my room (approximately 16 x 20 feet 8 foot ceiling in center but drops on the sides following roofline). I've narrowed my choices down to two subs but, as I'm a relative newbie, I thought I'd leave it up to the experts to recommend something.

Right now, I'm looking at the Axiom EP350 V2 and the SVS 16-46PCi. I'm looking at these two mostly based on price (with shipping, the SVS is 10 dollars more expensive than the Axiom). I'm on a bit of a budget and 675 dollars is really the maximum amount I can spend without having to deal with divorce, custody battles, alimony, etc.

So what do you suggest?

2. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

As an SVS owner I'd have to say SVS. You might get more output however if you switched to the 20-39 PCi instead of the 16-46.

3. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Craig

These are quite different subs. The 16-46 will give you usable in-room response to below 16Hz. The EP350 will give you usable in-room response to a little below 25Hz.

So, as far as really digging down deep, the SVS will outdo the Axiom.

There are other considerations however:

How important is appearance? Will your wife like the look of the 16-46? It is quite large and possibly not easy to hide. The Axiom, on the other hand, is in my humble opinion, far more attractive, and easier to incorporate with furniture.

And by the way, I own a 20-39PCi, so it is not like I'm anti-SVS.

4. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

LFE Sub? Not sure what that means...As far as movies go...when I'm home alone, fairly loud.

5. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

Okay...found LFE in the glossary.

Let me tell you what I'm doing.

What got me started in HT was a Bose Acoustimass 10 system I got as a gift a few years back. I'm wanting to upgrade and I want to start with the sub...so I would say that, for now at least, this sub will have to go a little bit higher until I can upgrade my center, left, and right speakers. Once that's done, I'm going up to 7.1 by using by existing bose speakers (minus "bass" module) in my surround positions...does that make sense?

6. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

All the more reason to go with the 20-39 instead of the 16-46.....

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The only way you will be able to use the tiny cubes is if you have a receiver that allows separate crossovers for various groups of speakers, because the bass module contains the existing passive crossover for the cubes.

As Jack mentioned, you can just add a REAL sub to the story and just set the existing bass module to small, allowing it to continue to support the cubes.

Then, sell the entire Bose set on eBay because you can generally get good resale value on them that way, and put that towards a new set of speakers.

8. Craig*C

Craig*C Auditioning

I was going to keep the bass module on there until I got my center, left, and right, then eliminate the bass module and keep the tiny cube as the surrounds...but I like the idea of selling the whole system on the 'bay. I can probably get some other inexpensive speakers to use as the surrounds.

9. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I also say SVS... no doubt about it!