Subwoofer choice for a moderate volume listener?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mal P, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi there,
    With so many people in this forum talking about listening at reference levels, I feel a little left out [​IMG] I'm a moderate volume listener, and for stereo (which is what I listen to the most), on my Sony DA555ES receiver, the 9'oclock position on the volume knob is too loud for me. For films, it's a little higher.
    Since I listen at these relatively moderate levels, the bass performance of my main speakers (rated to 31hz at -3dB) is lacklustre. I was wondering what sort of affordable subwoofer (no more than US$600) is appropriate for someone like me, to give me some oomph on that bottom octave?
    Since most music has very little content below 30hz, I would assume that I don't need a sub that extends to below 20hz... for films, a sub that produces a reasonable amount of volume at 20hz would be nice.
    How does the HSU VTF-2 sound? I understand it's quite a capable subwoofer, that can produce good volume at 25hz (in extended mode) and then a little below to around 20hz. I'd assume that the 20hz and 25hz response would be more balanced due to my moderate listening levels?
    Is it a "quick" subwoofer? That's what's very important to me, I don't want the bass notes to sound slow and boomy...
    Also, would it be capable of handling having all my speakers set to small on my Sony receiver? I believe it has a cross-over of 100hz (at a 12dB/Octave slope). Or should I keep my mains as large?
    Thank you very much,
    Mal

2. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Hi Mal. I was in a situation just like you not too long ago. I really don't listen at reference levels either and craved a very nice sub to listen to music and movies. I started looking around the DIY forum and not only learned alot about subwoofers but I also found an excellent company that not only sells subwoofer kits for you to put together yourself but will even custom build one for you and to your specs as well. Sealed subs for tighter and punchier bass(musical) to ported and passive designs for deeper bass as well(movies)or something in between if you like.
    Check out acoustic-visions.com and give Kyle Richardson a call or e-mail him. The response is very quick as well.
    It's worth a try. The costs of these things will easily fit your budget.
    Oh yeah, look in the showroom section and look at some of their work.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!
    [Edited last by Martice on November 16, 2001 at 06:08 AM]

3. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks very much for that Martice! Alas the only problem is, I live in Australia, and thus shipping costs would be prohibitive [​IMG] But thanks anyway!
    Does anyone else here own the VTF-2? Come on [​IMG]
    Sincerely,
    Mal

4. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

The HSU VTF-2 seems like the best

5. Mal P

Mal P Stunt Coordinator

Hi Tom,
    It is indeed available here, and it looks like it's at a discount price (since the new VTF-2 with a 30hz crossover is coming out). I won't be needing that, since I'll be using the crossover in my receiver.
    Do you think the VTF-2 can handle the complex waveform generated when setting all my speakers to small? My receiver it seems crosses over at 100hz.
    Thank you,
    Mal

6. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Yes, the VTF-2 should be fine up to it's linear operating limits.
    TV