Subwoofer Calibration Info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Stone, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Jun 21, 2000
    I'm coming home to my system on Sunday...and I've finally picked up a copy of Video Essentials as well as an SPL meter. My general question concerns the sub. I've been reading lately regarding the issue of the reciever or the sub handling the crossover. I've got an Energy e:XL 8 sub and have always used the x-over on the actual sub...should I be doing something on my reciever instead (I have a Sony DB840)?

I just wanted to make sure I had all the info I need for calibration when I get home...thx guys.
  2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

Sep 29, 2000
    Matt, set the crossover on the sub at the highest point possible so that it doesnt interfere with the receiver's crossover. If your speakers are set to small all frequencies under 80hz/90hz/100hz - depending on the crossover point of your receiver- will be sent to the sub, the LFE channel contains information as high as 120hz, I think. If you were to set your sub crossover to, say 80hz, and your receivers crossover point was 90hz you would get a 'hole' between these two frequencies. You do not have to do anything to your receiver.