What's new

Subwoofer calibrartion problems (1 Viewer)

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I am a newcomer to home theater. I have a Kenwood 6.1 receiver with Athena Technologies Audition speakers and a D-Box 302 subwoofer. My receiver's volume ranges from -92db to -8(loudest) and I can adjust the level for each speaker between +10 and -10. I calibrated my speakers using the Ultimate DVD Platinum test disc. I used -18db as the volume on the receiver for calibration. I used 75db as my reference level. At 75db, all my speakers, except the subwoofer ranged in level from -3 to -6. However, even bumping the subwoofer level up to +7, I could only get it to reach about 62db. At that volume, it was literally shaking the house. The DVD calibration disc recommends that I set the subwoofer's volume at 50%. My question is, am I doing something wrong in my calibration? Is there some reason why I can't get my subwoofer to get to 75db?(for the calibration, I placed the subwoofer in a corner). Any help would be really appreciated!

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
You mentioned "for the calibration, I placed the subwoofer in a corner".

You want to calibrate your system with the speakers exactly where they will be all the time, not moving them around during calibration. I'd be quite surprised if you got the same reading/setting as if you calibrated your sub properly with it in a corner, then moved it to a different location.

Sorry I can't help w/ your other sub questions.

JayDaniel

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
"I could only get it to reach about 62dB. At that volume, it was literally shaking the house."

This is hard to understand. I mean 62 dB's of low frequencies shaking the whole house. You must be referring to something beside's SPL.

Maybe you could clarify a bit.

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry for the confusion. The sub is located in the corner, about one foot from the walls. That is the only location I have used.
For the second response to my post, the 62db has me confused. I am using a Prolab Scientific SPL meter from my wife's school. The volume on the back of the sub is set halfway, but my room in the basement (14x20x8) is shaking a lot and my wife(who is upstairs) can hear and feel the sub. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks