What's new

subwoofer cables/really a difference? (1 Viewer)

Troy TN

Stunt Coordinator
I am in the market for a 25' rca subwoofer cable. I was hoping I could get some input on if there is a quality difference between one and another? I have read I could use standard RG6 coaxial cable with rf adapters and get the same signal as a $250 branded subwoofer cable. Has anyone tested output differences to their subwoofers using different cables?

Also I would love to find one with a single rca connection at the subout end on my receiver and a dual rca connection on the other end. Does anyone make these or would I need to utilize a "Y" adapter?

Lastly does it matter if I use the "Y" adapter right at the recievers output or could I use it at the other end which would prevent me from using two 25' cables?

Thanks for your input

Derek Iverson

Stunt Coordinator
I posted a similar question about the RG6 cabling and I still haven't got an answer, so I'd be interested in hearing what anyone has to say also.

Kyle P

Grip
I am using a 25' Radioshack cable that has 2 RCA males on each end then I added a R/S 2 into 1 adaptor at the receiver end. Inexpensive and it seem to work fine. I think it was less than $25.00. I use good quality cables for all interconnects but I am a believer that spending a fortune on cables in unnecessary.

Lam Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Troy, I havent used the RG6 before but as far as sub cable with built in y adapter, I have a pair. Tributaries, sells them $80 for 8 meters which is approximately 25 or 26 ft.
I have had good results with these.

Scott Ryan

Auditioning
I spoke to three custom installers here in MN and all three say they use RG6 for the long subwoofer runs behind the walls. You can then use a shorter cable from the wall outlet to the sub itself. I have yet to hear the results as my room is not done yet.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
With a frequency range of say between 200Hz - 15Hz I think that spending money on 'high end' Sub cables is a ridiculous concept.

Chu needs to step in now with his 'you could use a coat hanger' and it would sound just as good.;)

Get some RG6 with Radio Shack RCA adaptors. Use the Y adapter on the sub end. Enjoy.:)

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
there's very little that's required of a sub cable in the way of passing a signal. a shielded RG-6 or even RG-59, solid or stranded copper center conducter is perfectly fine. no need to spend a lot of money here unless you feel like it.

Darrin_R

Stunt Coordinator
Parts Express has RCA adapters that are designed for RG6 cables which eliminates the need for the F/RCA adapter. They work very nice.

I use them for my subs and my component runs.

Make sure the cables are UL approved if you are running the cables in the walls. The house wouldnt pass inspection when you sell it or if you ever had a fire the insurance company would have a field day.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I used RG6 plus 2 f-to-rca adapters for a 30 foot run - no problems. I later moved the sub and switched to a 25 foot VIDEO cable - again, no problem, no difference.

Vid cables seem to be cheaper than "sub" cables.

Use the Y splitter at the sub end, but it's never necessary.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
a coat hanger...hmmmmm, i don't know of any that're 25 feet long 'cept maybe for the cleaner where Shaq or Manute Bol take their clothes. Hey Paul, one of these days, just for the hell of it, try a coat hanger for the digital outs on your DVD player. Before you do it though, invite some friends over and make how you're gotten these new connectors in.

EdwinM

Grip
This might help you all. I recently got a 10m(30feet) subwoofer cable... UlrraLink with 2 rca ends for the subwoofer side and 1 rca on the receiver side. This is a thick nicely insulated cable and it cost me $70.00 canadian. I cannot find any problems with the sound going to the sub... it is very good quality. So you guys who are looking for cables may want to consider the UltraLink ones, they come in various lengths.

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Why do you need to have two rca ends on the subwoofer side. From what I understand, one at each end is sufficient. Is there any benefit to using both channels?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
you stop electrons from escaping by using a Bybee Quantum Purifier. Someone said it's like they trap all the bad electrons in a bag. Now where that bag is, I've no idea but I'm sure there's a release for it somewhere.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Why do you need to have two rca ends on the subwoofer side. From what I understand, one at each end is sufficient. Is there any benefit to using both channels?
There is no benefit. The sub plays a few dB louder which is nullified when you recalibrate. It also creates an extra connection in the chain to cause problems.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
ricky: sorry...it was meant as a joke insofar as the Bybee reference that I made. regarding the coat hanger, I believe the person who did an experiment based upon that (digital outs from a CD player I think?) was Al Molinari (sp?). Used to be a website that detailed his findings but I can no longer find it. Wish I'd saved the web page to my hard drive. Basically they tried to determine if using a coat hanger would result in any degradation of the signal...errors or what not. Their findings were that a coat hanger passed the digital signal perfectly. Unless I'm mistaken, there weren't any listening tests. I'll hunt a bit to see if I can find more information. I think Molinari posted over at Knapp's place, HomeTheaterTalk. As an aside, I've heard stories of where a person used his own body as an interconnect, supposedly by wetting his fingertips. Never tried it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks