What's new

Subwoofer Cable (1 Viewer)

Denis Q

Auditioning
I am thinking of making my own subwoofer cable instead of buying one from Monster or some other brand. Can someone tell me what gauge is best for subwoofer cable? I am planning on 14 gauge for my other speakers, will that also work for the sub? Also, is there a maximum length before performance starts to drop off? After running wire through the walls and ceiling, it will probably be 40-50 ft. Thanks.

DQ

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Are you planning on using a shielded sub cable? (what do you have in mind). I have used RG6 cable for long runs (I had one at 50ft) and it works great. You simply add the ends to the cable. The easiest way would be to get two F-RCA adaptors.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
I'm also thinking of doing this and was told I can get a flat RG6 cable, because I want to run the sub line under a rug. Is this cable picked up at the local hardware store?

Denis Q

Auditioning
Neil, being fairly new to all this, I am not really sure how much shielding I need. If the cost of 50' of heavy shielded RG6 is only a few bucks more than normal shielding, then I'd splurge for the extra $$$. I plan to attach the cable to a wall plate behind the rack, then up the wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall where it will attach to another wall plate, then plug-in another cable to run to the sub.

Also, does anyone make sub cables greater than 25' in case I feel lazy and decide to buy instead of build? I see Monster cables up to 25' on ebay but nothing bigger. Thanks.

DQ

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you are going with a long run for your sub cable, I strongly urge you to consider RG-6. It has a thicker inner conductor than RG-59 (cable for TV signal). It has the F-style connectors on each end that you screw into the TV or VCR. You simply but F-RCA adaptors that screw into the ends of the RG-6 cable. The other end of the F-RCA adaptor is an RCA style like that found on a regular sub cable with a male end to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks