1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Subwoofer Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Gido, Jul 13, 2001.

1. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

What type of cable would you recommend to connect a subwoofer to the LFE output from a receiver? I need about 25' of cable. Could I use a good RG-6 cable w/75 Ohm RCA connectors or would a "digital" cable be better?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    A good RG-6 will work fine. You can also get them with F-Connectors if that is easier to find and F to RCA adapters at places like Radio Shack.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just use 1/2 of a std stereo line level interconnect cable. Shielded, gold plugs, courtesy Radio Shack.
    ------------------

4. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't use the digital cable, it may work, but you should really go with a decent RCA interconnect for the proper impedance. For a really good buy on subwoofer RCA, check out http://www.avconnect.com/ they have a special on Acoustic Research. I believe that a 25' run of that is selling for 26 dollars. I use this cable myself and I've had nothing but good experience.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also go to places like www.milestek.com and go to product code 'CA-1380.' The cost of a cable is $15 plus $0.20/foot so it would be $20 for a 25 ft. cable.

6. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

Not the cheapest solution, but I went with the higher grade Monster sub cable(M351 SWHT). Although, not a great Monster cable advocate, it is a double shield (foil & braid) cable that appears to have a tough jacket, as well as one that is very flexible with a small diameter. This made it ideal for running underneath wall to wall carpeting. My Sub is in the rear corner of my listening area. It's also a neutral color making it less noticeable wherever it is visible.
    I also used the Monster spike suppressor for sub power & signal that mounts right on the AC outlet near my sub.