Subwoofer Cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Gido, Jul 13, 2001.

1. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

What type of cable would you recommend to connect a subwoofer to the LFE output from a receiver? I need about 25' of cable. Could I use a good RG-6 cable w/75 Ohm RCA connectors or would a "digital" cable be better?

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    A good RG-6 will work fine. You can also get them with F-Connectors if that is easier to find and F to RCA adapters at places like Radio Shack.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I just use 1/2 of a std stereo line level interconnect cable. Shielded, gold plugs, courtesy Radio Shack.
    ------------------

4. Chris_Campbell

Chris_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't use the digital cable, it may work, but you should really go with a decent RCA interconnect for the proper impedance. For a really good buy on subwoofer RCA, check out http://www.avconnect.com/ they have a special on Acoustic Research. I believe that a 25' run of that is selling for 26 dollars. I use this cable myself and I've had nothing but good experience.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    You can also go to places like www.milestek.com and go to product code 'CA-1380.' The cost of a cable is $15 plus $0.20/foot so it would be $20 for a 25 ft. cable.

6. DaleB

DaleB Stunt Coordinator

Not the cheapest solution, but I went with the higher grade Monster sub cable(M351 SWHT). Although, not a great Monster cable advocate, it is a double shield (foil & braid) cable that appears to have a tough jacket, as well as one that is very flexible with a small diameter. This made it ideal for running underneath wall to wall carpeting. My Sub is in the rear corner of my listening area. It's also a neutral color making it less noticeable wherever it is visible.
    I also used the Monster spike suppressor for sub power & signal that mounts right on the AC outlet near my sub.