What's new

Subwoofer Cable (1 Viewer)

Mark_TX

Auditioning
My SVS 25-31PC is scheduled to arrive 01/04/02. Yeah! Now I'm looking at cables. I've seen MANY posts relating to building my own cable with RG6 (75ohm) and RCA ends. This sound like the cheapest alternative, but I'm not sure how to crimp the RCA ends on the cable. Will a standard coax crimper suffice?

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
i would look into buying or spending around 50 dollars on a monster bass cable these are design to carry nothing but low levels to the sub but that is my opion ;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

If I'm not mistaken, don't the SVS subs come with a cable from BetterCables? I remember reading this somewhere. I'm not sure which models though.

David,

I "sub cable" is pure marketing hype. Just an excuse for the manufacturer to charge you more than any of their other cables. Any quality built, well shielded cable should be more than adequate.

Brian

David D. C.

Stunt Coordinator
brain

well i would tend to agree on the marketing but i also tend to live by the code if they screw it up then i have someone to blame not myself lol also i have not made a low level out put cable before how do you go about it?????

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mark,
You certainly can make a decent cable with RG6 and connectors from Radio Shack. I like twist on vice crimp on but that's all. The biggest "issue" (if you can call it that) with RG-6 is that it tends to be pretty thick and stiff. In other words a pain to route very far in a HT. If your situation allows for such a cable, the I say go for it.
We do not include cables free with the PC subwoofers you ordered but we do have a very exclusive price on the highly regarded Better Cables "Silver Serpent" interconnects. Only SVS customers can get the prices we offer. So if you decide to not make your own, I don't think you can find a better cable (no pun intended) for less money. No shipping costs if we ship with your sub either. Just something to consider. We have 3 to 12 meter lengths.

Myram

Second Unit
Real Name
SteveH
I, too, would go for a Monster Subwoofer cable. They offer 4-5 different models....but they all accomplish the same thing. Just find out what length you need and then either go to your local dealer, or go to www.ebay.com and do a search for "monster subwoofer" and you will find all that you need.
I have the Monster M351 2.5m sub cable and it is great, and I got it for $30 from www.audioadvisor.com.
Good Luck

Mark_TX

Auditioning
Thanks for everyone's input! I'm going to be testing the placement of the sub once it arrives to see where it sounds best, but my sispicion is that it will be at the back of the listening room. In this case, I'll be running the cable up a wall, through the attic, and back down the rear wall (probably 40ft.) I think the RG6 will work pretty well in this application, so I'll probably go with Scott's recommendation of twist-on RCA connectors. After all, if it doesn't work out the way I'd like, I'll probably only be out 20 bucks (since I won't need a crimper), and I can always use RG6...maybe for a cable drop in my office!

Thanks again

Mark

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Mark,
Ron is right you will probably not find a better cable for less than what the bettercables price is but you can definitely get one to equal it for less than half of the price.
You could build yourself a very very good quality 40 foot Canare cable with 75 OHM RCA Canare ends with 200MHZ bandwith for less than 20 dollars in parts. Here is a picture of one I built.
Link Removed
Just trying to save you some money.
Kevin C. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks