Subwoofer cable?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tim Kline, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I have a subwoofer left over from a HT in a box package I got a while ago, i've since upgraded everything else in my HT except the sub because I think it sounds good enough for me and I just don't have the cash anyway.

The cable is also from the HT in a box and it's not very long. I just re-aragned my HT area and I'd like put the sub farther away from the receiver... The cable's conector looks like a regular RCA (composite?) cable, so I'm wondering, can I just use a regular rca cable for my subwoofer, or is it actually something different? I've seen "Subwoofer cables" for sale at best buy, but I don't wanna spend the extra money if I can just use one of my spare rca cables that I'm not using for anything else anyway...

So, can I use an RCA cable and if so, can I use one of the yellow video cables? I have one that's really long and I always figured they were all the same anyway....

2. Ilkka R

Ilkka R Second Unit

Yes it is a normal RCA cable. You can use that yellow "video" cable, but they are not well shielded, but that is not a problem normally.

3. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

cool, thanks! [​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    There is one thing you should be aware of, Tim. Most HTIB’s do not have powered sub. The power comes from the front-end unit. So if you find that it doesn’t work, you’ll have to drag out the old HTIB to power it.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt