What's new

Subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

Rex.G

Stunt Coordinator
I recently moved and realized i never upgraded my subwoofer cable. I have been using the cheezy one that came with the subwoofer. I remember thinking that i needed to replace it when I was hooking it up at first, but never got around to it. So my question is, do i really need to spend money on a cable? I have not noticed any lack of performance. so what do you think?

set up:
Toshiba 40h80 Monitor
Toshiba SD3750 DVD
Pioneer VSX-D409 Receiver 5.1 DD & DTS
Bic Venturi DV52si Mains and surrounds
Bic Venturi DV53CLR Center
Sony SA-WM500 Sub

Thanks
Peter

John S

Senior HTF Member
Unless your specifically getting some sort of interference on it, I don't think upgrading it would make any sort of percievable difference.

Erik M

Auditioning
I agree. The only thing that is unique to a Subwoofer cable is the length. This may run the cable by more things that cause interferance, and you may have trouble finding a cable long enough. A cheap and easy sub cable I have used is taking a COAX cable and attaching an RCA converter on to each end. You can get these at Radio shack for about $2 ea, makeing the whole cable under $20 at about any length. This will get you the length you need and should kill any interferance.

Merimac Hamwich

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question that I suppose fits in here.

I have so far only purchased a Home Theater In a Box. I am going to be purchasing a Paradigm speaker set with a Harman Kardon 430 reciever. Will speaker cables come with the speakers, or do I have to buy seperately?

All I know is that my current HTIAB came with all the cables, but I figure that is becuase it is a HTIAB.

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Peter, I would go with what you have, barring that, go with the post from Erik.

Merimac, rather than hijack this thread :) you should start a new one. You will probably have to purchase the speaker wire when you go to separate speakers and receiver (unless the dealer will throw them in). In my opinion stay away from the Monster brand wire which is high priced for what you get. Go to Radio Shack or Home Depot and get some 12 gauge wire, and some banana connectors at Radio Shack for the wire ends.

Raj_Thiara

Agent
There is a fellow on e-bay (accessory-king) who sold me a very nice 20 foot dig. coax for use as a subwoofer cable at a very good price (this is from the NXG label). Got my stuff quickly and it has all worked like a charm thus far.

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking the same question. Especially since I'm not sure where I'm placing my sub yet. I figured it would be best to have a dedicated Subwoofer cable that's shielded to prevent interference. I do most of my shopping over at www.partsexpress.com
and I just got this: DAYTON SUBWOOFER CABLE 25' .. $14.40.
I also picked up a "Y" cable too. But with shipping the 25 foot cable is just about $20.00. Just a thought.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
My SVS arrives today so I didn't have time to wait for a new subwoofer cable to ship from the internet (The old one is too short). So I bought one at Radio Shack.

Actually the "Gold Series Subwoofer Cable" was $15.99 for 12'. But the "Gold Series Mono A/V Cable" was $12.99 for 12'. Its the same friggin wire with a different picture of the package!

So I bought the $12 connctor.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks