What's new

subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Is there a specific cable used to connect subs to Recievers or can any RCA style audio cable be used?

What kind of effects would you see, if any, if you did use basic RCA style audio cable instead of subwoofer cable.

Also given 2 powered subs and only one sub-out on the reciever how should these be hooked up if you want to run them both.

Would running the single line out from the reciever through a Y-splitter be any different than running into one sub input and out the output to the other sub input?

WayneO

Supporting Actor
Use a Y-splitter at your receiver's sub pre-out and run a cable to each sub. Many companies make a specific cable for subs, but I think any rca-type audio cable will work fine. I use all Radio Shack cables, they make a 12ft. sub cable for like $15 and would work great.

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Bill, make sure that the cable you use is shielded. I was using regular RCA cables, and they made my sub hum. I changed to shielded cables, and the problem is gone. Good Luck.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Johnny Ayala

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, this may seem like a crazy question, but if you run both subs off the same output won't it change the way they sound? By that I mean will they sound quieter than if you were only running one, like when you run 2 speakers off the same wire. Do these outputs have an impedance like a speaker output?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
In theory you can split the sub pre-out an infinite number of times and the voltage will remain the same at each connector.

Kind of like every outlet in the house is at 110v.

Of course in reality there is a limit to how many times the signal can be split; eventually the preamp will run out of current capacity. But splitting it once with a Y at the pre-out won't create any audible problems at all.

Good shielding and quality connectors are the two things to look for in sub cable. The signal itself is low frequency, low voltage, and narrow in bandwidth and is not difficult for the cable to carry per se.

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks