Subwoofer Cable?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Jeremy Scott, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i have a sopny HTIB and the subwoofer cable that came with it was only like 4 feet long and thin, so today i went out and bought a longer (25') THX, does a better cable really make a difference in the sound?

If so, should i replace the thin speaker wires that go to my 5 speakers?

2. Jerry Parker

Jerry Parker Stunt Coordinator

No the cheap cable will sound the same. The only difference is that the new cable looks better and has better shielding, and that might prevent noise.

As for your speakers, if the wire is smaller than 18 gauge, I definatly reccomend getting something thicker. Soundking from www.partsexpress.com or Radioshack's Megacable would work fine.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

so why would better speaker wire help, but a better sub cable not?

4. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

The subwoofer signal is low frequency and low bandwidth - not hard for a cable to accurately carry per se. Bad quality connectors and no shielding is what hurts a mediocre sub cable. Get a decent cable if for no other than those two features.

5. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Additionally, the subwoofer is a line level (preamp) signal that carries very little power into a very high impedence amp input. (We are talking about self-powered sub here, I hope!) That's why it does not need a lot of copper and it must have good shielding. Speaker wires carry significant power so need more conductor and the low resistence loads (4-8 ohm speaker coils) keep interference/noise from being an issue so they don't need shielding.

Very much apples and oranges!

Gordon