subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Dave_La, Jul 16, 2003.

1. Dave_La

Dave_La Stunt Coordinator

Recently bought a sub, I set it up just using regular A/V cable. I didn't hear much bass at all. So I'm assuming it's the cable. Do I have to buy a monster subwoofer cable at GG or can I just get a digital coax at Target? Is there any difference between the two??? Thx..

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

There is no difference between the 2. In facr, for this purpose, there is no difference between either of these and the AV cable you are trying to use. The cable you have is only to blame if its faulty.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Digital coax is just a fancy and expensive way of saying "75 ohm video cable", so stay away from the extra expense, especially when it is "supposed" to be used for digital applications. If your current cable is not faulty (id you are getting bass at all, it probably is not faulty), try adjusting and calibrating the levels on your system. This is probably the culprit.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I agree with Jeff. You need to use a SPL meter to set your speakers to 75 db, then adjust the sub to produce somewhere around 80 db. Now your system will be a much closer match to what the movie sound engineers intended.

This link to our Primer on Home Theater means Accuracy & Calibration can help you understand the steps.

There IS one or two things to check if you have already level-adjusted your system:

- Make sure the "ordinary AV cable" has snug fitting RCA plugs. I've often seen that subwoofer frequencies are sensitive to wanting a good, strong connection.

- Go into your receiver and make sure you tell it that you actually have a subwoofer in the system. You should also define all your other speakers as "SMALL" so the receiver will route sounds from these speakers to the sub.

Let us know what you try and what works.

5. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    If those other things don't work, try moving your sub. You may be in a sort of null which sucks up bass.
    Also make sure there is no LFE attenuator activated on your receiver and make sure there is enough signal from the receiver to activate the auto on function on your sub.