What's new

Subwoofer cable (1 Viewer)

Hello, one last question...well, just for the heck of it. I am recieving a new Sony Sub(Sa-wm40) this week and recently bought an Ultralink 6m RCA type video interconnect cable from my local store which was having a sale and advised me not to buy a subwoofer only cable as they were mostly mockups of this cable sold at a higher price. My questions are as follows:
1) Despite the 'video' reference on the box, is this cable sufficient to connect from my receiver to my subwoofer?
2)Also, which way are the arrows on the cables supposed to point?
extra: for my DVD player component cables, which way do those arrows point?

Brandon S

Auditioning
A subwoofer interconnect cable has the same electrical properties as a video cable. Im not sure about your specific cable (wether the subwoofer version is the same part) but it will work. The arrows on the cable mean nothing. There is no difference in which "direction" the signal flows.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The requirements for a sub cable are much less than a video cable, so video cables or RG6 CATV coax all work fine for subs.
The arrows should point in the direction of the signal. So make them run from the receiver to the sub.
With all respect to Brandon, there IS sometimes a difference in 2 cables:
Design A: The outer shield connects to the outer body of the RCA plug on both ends. This ties the grounds of the two devices together. This is the most common type of coax interconnect. But if the external device has a built-in amplifier, it could cause a ground-loop humm.
Design B: The outer shield is only connected to the source-side RCA plug and not to the destination plug. This prevents the two systems from sharing the same ground and CAN prevent subwoofer/amplifier humm. Little arrows on the jacket show you which way to install.
Design C: They sometimes take a cable with Design A and put little arrows on the outer jacket, the word "Digital" on the package and bump the price 2-5 times. This is what Brandon and your salesman is cautioning against.
Good Luck.
Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks