subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by DavidAM, May 10, 2003.

1. DavidAM

DavidAM Second Unit

I have a DIY Tempest sub with the PE Plate amp and a HK 520 reciever. I just went to Best Buy to buy a sub cable and they had 2 cables, a Monster which clearly showed 1 output from the reciever to Right and Left to go into the sub. They also had an Acoustic Research cable for $10 cheaper which didn't clearly show the connections, but I figured it would be the same. Well, turns out the AR cable is just 1 input and 1 output, so what I need to know is if it matters or not. I know sub's are mono, so I'm thinking i could just plug it into the sub in either the right or left channel and it should work right? Is there anything wrong with doing this or should I go get the Monster cable that plugged into both R and L inputs?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    That depends.

Most subs I know of will yield half the volume if a single RCA is used and connected to either the left or the right sub input. If a Y cable (or a single cable like you are speaking about used with a Y splitter) is connected to both inputs then you get double the volume.

Some subs though have internal circuitry such that it does not matter if you connect just a single input or if you connect to both inputs, you still get the same volume from the sub.

The second type of sub is less common.

3. Steve Sm.

Steve Sm. Auditioning

Monster's high end sub cables include a Y-adapter, while AR requires you to buy one seperately, but there's no difference in the cable itself.

4. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

5. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

If you have the 250 watt plate amp check the manual that came with. It states to hook up a mono cable to the "red" connector. You should be fine.

If you lost the manual you can see it online here

6. Pete GTP

Pete GTP Auditioning