subwoofer cable to run under (not around) carpeting

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay Villero, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

I really want to put my subwoofer next to the couch, but don't have the side walls close enough to run the cable around. I currently run my rear speaker wires along the edges of the square piece of carpet that is the living room rug. That works fine, but a subwoofer cable is just a wee bit too thick for that. Is there a subwoofer cable that might be thin enough to use? What about a cable cover that I could run the subwoofer cable and speaker wires through? Some kind of rubber/plastic thing that can be stepped on? Any ideas/suggestion? I apologize if this should be placed in the "Building a Home Theater" forum.

2. Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B Second Unit

I know Monster does flat speaker cables, but not sure on sub connects.

3. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Is your room on the 1st floor?? If so and you have a crawl space then you could run your cable down through the floor and under the house and then back in.
    2nd floor - use the attic in the same manner.
    I know you can get cord covers but they are not very attractive to use. I have also popped molding off and stuffed the cable behind/underneath it and put the molding back on and that works OK except you have to cut a small notch out of the molding where the cable goes in and comes out.
    Greg

4. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

Greg -
    All good suggestions. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building (but saving for a house!). Any idea where I could get my hands on some ugly cable covers?

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'll bet you can find something that suits your needs from a home improvement store.
    i know they make covers for electrical extension cords. i bet it would work just as well for a subwoofer cable.
    now aesthetics (sp?)...that's a whole different story.
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

6. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Jay,
    I know for sure you can get them from HD and Lowes. You will find them in the same aisle as the extension cords. They are also available at Staples.
    They typicall ycome in a 6 foot length or a 20 foot length I believe. I have seen them in creme, dark brown, and black. They are a rubber material can be easily cut down with a good sharp knife or utility scissors. I think the cost is about 6-8 bucks for the 6 footer and about 17 for the 20 footer (in my area that is).
    Greg

7. Jay Villero

Jay Villero Agent

Thanks for the info. I have a Staples nearby, so I'll take a peak there. The creme colored one won't be so bad...yeah right.

8. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    Your other option would be to cut a groove in the carpet padding and run the cable down that notch. This idea works better when there isn't any furniture in the room [​IMG].
    Greg